Replace existing concrete cills with upvc

Poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Finally found a local uPVC supplier who do a decent system at reasonable cost.

However whilst measuring the upper windows it was clear that the concrete cills are breaking down, some worst than others.

Rather than replacing them could I just remove them and put a run of bricks across in their place and then fit 150mm uPVC cills on the new windows.

I'm changing a couple windows to patio doors so would have matching bricks.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20221129_110631.jpg
    IMG_20221129_110631.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
yes, you can do that

or you could replace them with new concrete cills

Thanks Notch7,

I was just making sure there wouldn't be any structural value that I wasn't aware of in the the concrete cills before I did anything.

I think uPVC will not just look better but be far cheaper per unit and easier to install.

Thanks again.

Just make sure the surveyor is aware and deduct 2 brick courses not the one and a half the concrete sill is unless your happy with a full course and a course of frogs

Sponsored Links
If the one in the pictured is one of the bad ones, surely with a lick of masonry paint it will outlast you?

Don't be daft,
The photo is just to give clarity to the type of cill.
That one in the photo is on the ground floor and is fine it's the 1st floor ones that are knackered and possibly could be a risk to people below.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back