Load-bearing on replacement uPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had quotes for new double glazed uPVC windows to replace old metal windows in recently purchased 1960s semi. Before purchase, our surveyor advised getting plastic replacement windows with adequate "structural capability", as the metal frames can take some load. There is a soldier course of bricks above each window

When we raised this with potential FENSA window suppliers, we got different answers. One said they would fit a steel plate across the top of each new uPVC window. But another said that no further support was needed as the soldier course would 'do the job' (take the load).

We are now confused. Any comments or advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
But another said that no further support was needed as the soldier course would 'do the job' (take the load).
It depends how it's been constructed; the vertical soldier course won’t be structural in itself. I have a 60's property with a soldier courses above all the windows but there are “cast in situ” reinforced concrete lintels behind them so, effectively, the soldiers are just decorative. I would be surprised if you don’t have something similar as even metal window frames won’t support the wall on their own. You do need to be sure though as normal UPVC windows are not structural & if there is no lintel at all, a thin steel plate won’t do much either. Steel reinforced UPVC frames are usually found on bay windows but the load on these is not that high so I’m not even sure these would be sufficient in a no lintel situation in a wall.

Thanks Richard. That's very helpful.

Judging from the drill hole attempts for curtain rails above each window, I think you are spot on with existence of a a concrete lintel!

Outside walls are normal brick and inside is breezeblock. Does the lintel normally sit across one or both of these skins? Assuming lintel exists and is in good order, does that mean we could rely on it to take load without having to do any further strengthening when metal windows are removed and replaced with uPVC?

Judging from the drill hole attempts for curtain rails above each window, I think you are spot on with existence of a a concrete lintel!

Outside walls are normal brick and inside is breezeblock. Does the lintel normally sit across one or both of these skins? Assuming lintel exists and is in good order, does that mean we could rely on it to take load without having to do any further strengthening when metal windows are removed and replaced with uPVC?
I would say yes & from your drilling experiences it seems you do have lintels but you (or the window firm) need to be satisfied that's the case. I've never seen the process of casting lintels in place; presumably Catnic type steel lintels didn’t exist back then & casting with steel reinforcing was cheaper than installing pre-made lintels. Having had to remove 2 & replace with Catnic’s, what I do know is they are strong, difficult to remove & extremely heavy when you eventually do manage to extract them from the surrounding brickwork!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back