Replace external wooden sill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had scaffolding erected for a roof repair which has finally provided me the opportunity to inspect the wooden window sills. Sadly, they're not in a good state. Pretty badly rotten and soaked. My feeling is that replacement is the best / only option.

Would these wooden sills be extending right back under the upvc window? Would they be screwed into place or just pushed in and glued in place? In reality, how easy will it be to replace them?

I only have the scaffolding until the end of the week. With them being soaked through, there is zero chance of them drying enough for a repair job in this time. Could I perhaps put a upvc cover over them instead?
20231204_112618.jpg
20231204_112626.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'd like to have thought that when the windows were replaced with upvc they would have replaced the cill with pvc too ... obviously not. They should project fully under the window in theory but hard to tell without taking the window out! Capping them over will certainly hide them... but not necessarily solve them being so wet! It would be somewhat of a temporary bodge in my opinion until the weather improves and it can be dealt with in greater depth

I'd like to have thought that when the windows were replaced with upvc they would have replaced the cill with pvc too ... obviously not. They should project fully under the window in theory but hard to tell without taking the window out! Capping them over will certainly hide them... but not necessarily solve them being so wet! It would be somewhat of a temporary bodge in my opinion until the weather improves and it can be dealt with in greater depth
That's kind of what I am thinking tbh. Yes, I'm going to need scaffolding again, they are quite a way up but I'm thinking to wait until Spring next year to let them dry out, have a good look and make a decision then.

I won't be taking the window out. I assume that if and when it comes to it, I can 'yank' them out and, if they come away then easy enough to replace and if not, then I'll be sawing back to be level with the frame and then add something new on to the front?

Unfortunately they should be screwed to the frames...hopefully, if you are lucky, they are screwed though the bottom of the frame into the top of the cill and not the other way , up through the cill into the frame

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately they should be screwed to the frames...hopefully, if you are lucky, they are screwed though the bottom of the frame into the top of the cill and not the other way , up through the cill into the frame
I guess with the former, I can take the pane out and access the screws. Something I can probably do this week then.

Thanks for your help.

It appears that they are aluminum windows in a wooden frame. Is it possible that the external sill forms the lower part of the frame? In other words, not removable?

Also, how do I remove pane on this one? Do I remove the external seals first and then the strips will clip out? I don't seem to be able to gouge out the clips as you'd normally do with the upvc ones.

Ah, Having looked at your pics closer, ( my fault ) , as you say the windows are encased in a wooden frame, you won't get that cill put , as it will be attached to the upright jambs . Well it would come out, you'd need to completely unscrew the Ali frame from the wooden frame. To remove , looks like it's externally beaded , so it's probably a wedge gasket that should pull out on , on the inside...push the glass back and beads should unclip . It s starting to turn into a bigger job lol

It appears that they are aluminum windows in a wooden frame. Is it possible that the external sill forms the lower part of the frame? In other words, not removable?

Also, how do I remove pane on this one? Do I remove the external seals first and then the strips will clip out? I don't seem to be able to gouge out the clips as you'd normally do with the upvc ones.

I did think that, but didn't have the guts to disagree with the people whom I respect in this forum...

@opps , I didn't look close at the pic to be honest, was trying g to paint the kitchen at the time lol. Feel free to disagree with me anytime lol

@opps , I didn't look close at the pic to be honest, was trying g to paint the kitchen at the time lol. Feel free to disagree with me anytime lol

Respect- and for what it is worth, please feel free to PM me if you need decorating advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back