Replace Frames or Just Glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

We had double glazing fitted with new upcv frames around 20 years ago and some of the glass units have failed. We are going to get some quotes to have them replaced but just wanted to ask whether the frames would also need replacing given their age ? They are generally in good condition but have things changed with regards to how they’re made or what they’re made of etc?

Thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
It's possible, maybe even probable, that the upvc profiles used in modern installs are more thermally efficient than those of 20 years ago. And, depending on the overall quality of components used, things like locking mechanisms are likely to offer enhanced security. I'm basing my response on the assumption you'd opt for a half decent product. If you go cheap as chips my assertions might not hold true, especially the second one.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Depends how much money you want to spend...

if you are looking at spending a bit that upgrade the frames . You could just upgrade the glass to more modern thermally efficient glass ( Diamnt Glass , Warm edge spacer , argon gas and planitherm ) and you will get some heat retention. honestly if the frames and locks/hinges are good and they still look good ..and you've never had any issues with the quality of the window fitting from 20 yrs ago , i'd just change the glass to the modern version. potentially save thousands of pounds and loads of mess. It is unlikely you will ever see back the extra cost of new windows in energy savings over say , 20 years..possibly longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back