Replace Honeywell ST9400c and T6360B with Dual Channel HIVE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to replace my wired Honeywell wired programmer ST9400c and dial thermostat T6360B to a Hive dual channel system and would be grateful if anyone can confirm a few things beforehand please? I have read multiple threads on this from here, but mine doesn't correspond

I have uploaded a few pictures of the wiring of the current Honeywell ST9400c and the T6360B as it is currently fitted. Looking at previous posts and STEM's really helpful advice and comments on these I was hoping it would be a simple cutover on the backplate from ST9400C to Hive dual controller using the N-L-1-2-3-4 as per previous answers supplied on here, but the current programmer backplate wiring looks different to other posts and can see the following from the picture supplied:

a. There are 3 x connections to the L (live), I was only expecting 1.
b. There is nothing in 1 (HW OFF) and 2 (CH OFF) and was expecting these to be there (or at least HW OFF in 1) like other ST9400C examples seen on here?
c. There are feeds and connections to HW ON (3) and HW OFF (4) as expected though and expect they just cut over like for like?

Do I just wire up like for like from the Honeywell ST9400c (1 x N, 3 x L, HW On (4) and CH ON (3) into the dual channel HIVE Controller and plug in and all will be ok? If so what happens to the lack/absence of HW Off (1)?

Also in terms of the T6360B Thermostat do I just remove/leave the dial thermostat off/on the wall and just terminate the wires as follows:

a. Connector 3 (Switched Live) and Connector 1 (CH ON) combine to not leave the Thermometer open circuit and allow the HIVE programmer to then do the temperature control thereafter?
b. Remove and isolate the Connector 2 (Neutral) into a chock block or leave as is if remaining on the wall?

I have looked at what should be the Honeywell 10 way block in the airing/tank cupboard labelled "Honeywell" and its a dogs dinner (See picture), so have avoided trying to trace the Thermometer from corridor to airing cupboard to disconnect the Thermostat from there, unless anyone can tell me from the picture which wires to remove (I was expecting to see a simple terminal block 4 and 5 to be removed and then a link strap inserted).

Any guidance is appreciated on this.

Attachments

• 20220128_103408_01[1].jpg
    20220128_103408_01[1].jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 288
  • 20220125_201853[1].jpg
    20220125_201853[1].jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Honeywell 10 way block.jpg
    Honeywell 10 way block.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
The ST9400c and Hive from an electrical point of view are simply two basic on/off switches; one for heating and one for hot water, and in your case the wiring connection to the two devices are identical. So the wires stay connected exactly as they are.

Like many installations, terminals 1 & 2 aren't required by your heating system, so no connection to them is required.

The number of wires in the L terminal varies. In your case the original installer has used the terminal as a junction box, but they should stay as they are.

You can leave the old thermostat in place and put the wire that is in terminal 3 in terminal 1, along with the wire already in there, that will by-pass it and take it out of operation. The thermostat should remain in situ as the wires to it remain live and the wiring regulations require an 'accessory' to be present to indicate the presence of live wires

If you want to remove it altogether, the old thermostat can't simply be disconnected as this would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it would not operate, the integrity of the circuit needs to be maintained. Here's how it's done professionally.

1. Trace the thermostat cable back to its origin.

2. Take take a photo, or make a note of where the brown wire from thermostat (1) and grey wire with brown sleeve from thermostat (3) originate

3. Disconnect all of the wires in the cable that goes to the old thermostat and remove the cable and old thermostat.

4. Insert a wire link between the terminals where the two wires that previous went to thermostat 1 & 3 have just been removed from, so that they are now electrically joined together.

I'll have a look at the wiring centre connection photo when I can see it on a bigger screen, and let you know if I can determine the thermostat connections.

Stem, many thanks and appreciate the quick feedback. I will leave the Thermostat in situ and join 1 and 3 together as suggested, leaving the neutral in place. Its unsightly and easier than tracing it back to the 10 way block which is shown in the picture and deciphering which is which. It wont hurt staying where it is and if I ever have issues with the HIVE I can restore the ST9400C and T6360B back to its original install without too many dramas.
thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back