Honeywell to Hive dual channel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I would be grateful for any advice. We used to have Hive single channel system as we had a combi boiler. We had a single channel receiver, Nano hub and the thermostat (the less appealing white one). During the house rebuild, we switched to a (Baxi) boiler with a (Megaflo) hot water tank and wired temporarily a Honeywell ST9400C programmer - wired as shown on the photo:

upload_2017-10-29_11-6-1.png

upload_2017-10-29_11-29-6.png

We do not have any separate (wireless or wired) thermostat for the Honeywell programmer. We have thought about it all and want to reinstall the Hive. We have the hub and the wireless thermostat and I just bought the Hive dual channel receiver. I wonder if we just wire the Hive dual channel (SLR2) receiver in exactly the same fashion as the Honeywell programmer is wired - I wonder if it should be a straight swap? Ideally we would prefer not to order the whole new Hive system as we have all the components, and would prefer to have a go at it ourselves. Thank you all very much in advance!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For a Dual Channel Installation

If you look at the circuit diagram on the back of the Honeywell, you will see terminal 3 is labelled HW on, and the Hive dual channel also has a terminal 3 labelled 'HW On'. That is where the grey wire should go.

If you look at the Honeywell circuit diagram again, you will see that terminal 4 is labelled 'CH On' and the Hive also has a terminal 4 labelled 'Heating On'. That is where the black wire should go

If you need any assistance with the brown and blue, you shouldn't be doing this yourself ;)

So a dual channel Hive with heating and hot water control can replace the Honeywell which can then be removed.

For a Single Channel Installation

If you want to keep the single channel Hive you have, you can wire it in just to control the heating. In this instance, for the single channel Hive, terminal 3 is the connection for 'heating on' (for the black wire) remove it from the Honeywell and connect it to the Hive. You also need to inset a link between Hive L and 1.

Finally, connect the Hive live and neutral terminals to the Honeywell live and neutral

The Honeywell will have to remain in place for hot water control, so the grey wire will have to be left as it is. It's not an ideal solution IMHO, as you will now have a central heating function on the Honeywell that is not actually doing anything, but it will work.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back