Replace Honeywell Stat with Hive with Combi Boiler

EBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
808A04AE-17C3-4508-BDA9-96B1E02B8C1C.jpeg
Please can someone put me right with this.
Trying to replace a Honeywell remote thermostat for a Hive single channel unit, what I don’t get is why is there a Live loop from Live 1 to Live 2 as described in the photo, would really appreciate if someone could explain to me where the wires in the photo go on the Hive unit.
Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
I seen no reason for the loop, you don't say what the old thermostat is, but I would guess the two L terminals are so you don't need to loop, it would seem who ever wired it up has not read the instructions however to be fair neither have I.

It’s a Honeywell although it actually says it’s a Builder Centre unit.
Are you able to confirm where all wires go from the old unit to the new Hive unit.

Attachments

• CFBDB1F6-AFB8-428D-9AED-02BC6C4F3ED0.jpeg
    CFBDB1F6-AFB8-428D-9AED-02BC6C4F3ED0.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 52D856D2-8F2F-460C-B115-BCEED395A530.jpeg
    52D856D2-8F2F-460C-B115-BCEED395A530.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 400
The picture showing sundial system confirms what I thought, the 2 L's are internally linked and is there for when you need to link line to the contacts, but you don't need to do that, so L to L and N to N and A = 1, B = 3, C = 2.

Sponsored Links
Hi, noticed later after you sent me the last thread that I don’t have a wire in C which would go to to 2 (Heating off) sorry if I’m being dim lol

As a PS would love a report on how Hive works for you, I considered both Hive and Nest, because in my case I also needed domestic hot water, settled on Nest, as to which works out cheaper depends on the room count, Nest uses Energenie TRV heads, Hive use their own TRV heads, Nest version £40 per head plus hub at £40 plus Nest at £200 with DHW and £100 without, where Hive the TRV heads are £80 each plus Hive at around £80 so the total depends on how many rooms are controlled with the electronic TRV's however it seems Hive does a better job with non OpenTherm boilers, and Nest a better job with OpenTherm boilers as Hive simply does not have Opentherm.

It is easy to do a theoretical comparison, but not so easy in Practice, I have for example cheated, and have only fitted 4 Energenie TRV heads, the rest are cheap programmable heads which don't link to main thermostat, so if a bedroom calls for heat, it will only actually heat up, once the main Nest thermostat has started the boiler, so I rely on the idea heat raises and entry level will always be cooler than up stairs.

By March next year I will know if it works, as yet it's theory only, would have been nice to talk to some one already using it, talked to my son who also has Nest but his is Gen 2 which it seems did not have opentherm or connect to TRV's or so he says. And even if it was rubbish, I don't think he would admit it.

Hi, the story is my son has bought a house in Aberfan and my wife and myself come down every 2 or 3 weeks to help do what we can.

I have Hive at home in Anglesey and have standard TRV, I’ve always fancied having WiFi TRV’s primarily I love tech, but to be honest after 8 months of having Hive now I don’t feel the need to have them as what I did was move a thermometer to each room in tern and fiddled with the TRV to get the room at 21 degrees and it works a treat.

To be honest I didn’t research that much which was best Hive or Nest, I went on the fact that BT had a deal on and worked out a lot cheaper, had many a good deal on the BT shop bought smart tellys and all sorts from them.

I have had 4 houses, plus son and daughters which I have been involved in, as as you say in the main once set they work, except for Shotton, my dads old house was a nightmare. The problem was bay windows, and the sun shining through them would cause the room temperatures to go crazy, what I needed was a TRV that would act fast enough so if the sun came out, it would turn off radiator quickly, and Energenie TRV heads did work, having spent £40 each plus the hub, when I moved I replaced the wax heads and took them with me.

I had no intention of fitting Nest at that time, but found no wall thermostat fitted here in Llanfair Caereinion and only two wires boiler to main house so fitted Nest which only needed two wires.

However in Shotton I also tried to set different temperatures at different times of day. It did not work as expected, I thought if I turned heating down to 16°C overnight it would save on gas, but it never cooled down that much, the house was clearly well insulated and even when below freezing outside rare to drop to 17°C in the main off at 10 pm and on again at 7 am and it was still sitting at 18°C. Hardly worth all the effort. They did stop the temperature over shooting, but the anti-hysteresis software was really OTT, and if at 7 am set to 20°C it was around 10 am before it was at new temperature, so I cheated, at 7 am set to 22°C at 8 am set to 20°C and in the main it was at 20°C at 8 am.

However it had been installed without a TRV in the hall where the wall thermostat was installed, I tried altering the lock shield valve, fitting curtains on the stairs, second inner door behind the front door all to no avail. if wind changed then all setting went up the creak, after pulling my hair out trying to get it to work, I decided to fit a TRV in the hall, every plumber I talked to said you never fit a TRV in same room as thermostat, however once set it worked really well, but key word is once set, I had to get the TRV to turn radiator off just before hall got warm enough, so likely TRV set to 18°C and wall thermostat to 19°C can't say exactly as TRV settings were *123456 which is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, latter I fitted a Energenie TRV head which made it easier to change temperature, as could set TRV at 19°C and wall thermostat at 19°C no more guess work, so at last I could actually alter the temperature.

So here the Nest wall thermostat is linked to the dinning room, hall and living room TRV heads, so alter one and all are altered together. Kitchen and up stairs are independent but all around the Nest in the hall are linked. The hope is I can alter as I feel fit, without having to match the settings, that's now automatic. I can also turn off the office, or craft room when not in use, I hope that will save oil, as will the kitchen TRV auto turning off when the door is open to unload the car. Since never done a winter without Nest and 11 electronic TRV heads, can't really comment as to if improved, even by this time next year.

However whole idea of Hive, Nest, EvoHome, Tado and others is every room is only heated when required, this is how they claim to save money, so unless every room, well maybe not bathroom and loo, but nearly every room has it's own control, it can't work, but the big question is, does every TRV need to connect to the main thermostat, or if just the main ones connect is that enough? Sorry I have no answer yet.

You’ve really gone in to this in a big way, I think sometimes that technology is taking over our lives but I still love it.

Thanks for all your help everything is working a treat here now and I can go home to the island knowing he’ll be warm and snug in his new home.

Diolch

Eirwyn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back