replace light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have two sets of lights i am replacing...one bottom of stairs and one top...the bottom ones are a straight replacement...red to live and black to neutral andf earth to earth...perfect works no problem...
however the upstairs lights have a light swight at bottom and top of stairs and their are four wires at light fitting...2 pairs of erd and black...i fitted the two red to live and two blacks to neutral and blew a fuse...is one of the wires a earth wire in disguise???...somebody suggested wiring red/black to live and red/black to neutral...is theis right?

Sponsored Links
Switch the mains off first,the two reds should be connected together but not to the light , the light should then be connected to the two backs. (one back in each terminal of your new light)

One of the blacks is what is known as switched live (becomes live when the switch is on) so when you turned the mains on you connected live directly to neutral that's why the fuse went.

Sponsored Links
it may have been, perhaps he /she didn't log in.
Please note: If you wish to proceed with name calling that is fine, because that is obviously what you get off on, but please when refering to others at least spell their name right, it should be "BAGGIES1" not "baggie" as you said. I know we all make spelling mistakes, but you would appear to have been concentrating elsewhere

ok guys its fine ....i just forgot to log in at that particular time but it was me however your information helped me greatly thanks very much.
phew i didnt know DIY was such a competitive business!!
push come to shove, you guys are more clued up about this stuff than me anyway....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back