New Ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with a new light fitting, I've taken down
the the old fitting giving me 7 wires 3 red, 3 black, and the earth, i
connet all 3 red to the live and all 3 black to neutral, flicked the switch and trip the fuse box, then i tried the 3 red together and only 2 of the black the light worked but would not turn off, I have 2 switches for this light. :(

Sponsored Links
the 2nd time you did it what did you do with the third black, put it in a connector block or similar but not connected to anything?

The third black is switched live, your light fitting itself should be connected to the two blacks (neutral) and the single black, (switched live)
see the 2nd drawing down at

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lights_and_switches.htm

yes i left the third in a connector block and left it,
The third black wire has nothing on it to show it is live, if this is the case how do i go about connecting it up.

When I took the old fitting down all the reds were together and all the blacks were together with a single black wire next to all three black ones
:rolleyes:

Darshan said:
yes i left the third in a connector block and left it,
The third black wire has nothing on it to show it is live, if this is the case how do i go about connecting it up.

When I took the old fitting down all the reds were together and all the blacks were together with a single black wire next to all three black ones
:rolleyes:
see the 2nd drawing in the link.
It was "quite common" for electrcians not to mark the black as a switched live
the light needs to be connected to the one in the connector block (switched live) and the neutral.
so all you have to do is to take the wire from the light that is now in the reds and put it into the one you have "spare"

Sponsored Links
call me thick or stupid, but on the light fitting there are three wire
brown-live which i connect to the three red wires
blue-neutrsl which i connect to two of the black wire
and earth
are you saying take the live wire and connect it for the one black(live wire) :oops:

take the brown from the reds (where it is now) and connect it to the single black (that you have put in a connector block and is now doing nothing)

thank very much for all the advise
It's just worked fine
the wife is now happy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back