Wiring a new light - help ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace the standard bulb ( bayonet ) type light in my garage with a fluorescent fitting.

The fluorescent fitting has connections for Live, neutral and earth. When I removed the bayonet fitting I have four connections :-

Live ( Black )
Switched live ( black with a red sleeve )
neutral ( red )
and earth ( freen/yellow )

How do I get round this ?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi,if the cables are surface mounted I'd terminate them in a 5 Amp junction box with 4 terminals, then run a short 1mm2 cable to the fitting.Or if not let all the cables go to the flur. fitting but using a 5 Amp connecting strip join the switch cables then thoroughly tape off with insulating tape.Then connect the live,neutral and Earth to the fitting. Needless to say turn off the electric at the mains before proceding

bibo86 said:
I want to replace the standard bulb ( bayonet ) type light in my garage with a fluorescent fitting.

The fluorescent fitting has connections for Live, neutral and earth. When I removed the bayonet fitting I have four connections :-

Live ( Black )
Switched live ( black with a red sleeve )
neutral ( red )
and earth ( freen/yellow )

How do I get round this ?

TIA

are you sure you have that right? as you have the colours wrong.

The light should be connected across neutral and switched live which are usually two blacks (but one should have red tape to indicate it is a switch wire.)

If you know which cable does what it should be connected so:

Live in (red) connected to live to switch (red)
Neutral in (black) to N on the new light
Black from the switch (with red tape) to L on new light

there should also be two bare wires these are the earths, they should have green / yellow sleaving and be connected to the earth terminal on the new light

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back