Replace old cistern with dual flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, our current toilet has a single button flush which is one plastic centre piece with the spring etc. We have been told it is now old fashioned and need to replace it with a dual flush system. Is this easy enough to do? Does the old come straight out (well I know it does coz its out) and the new dual flush part go straight in its place? Do I keep the ball cock etc where it was originally?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reponse mate.

The part doesn't work anymore the toilet fails to flush and we were told to replace the cistern pack, I tried getting a new one from B&Q and their plumber told us we'd need to install the new dual flush part as the part I had with me is becoming obsolete if you like. So basically I have a new dual flush pack from B&Q to replace my old plastic centre part which is broken. He said something about the two bolts under neath the pan I'd need to remove to fit it.

Sorry if this still doesn't help any.

Sponsored Links
isolate the water
flush toilet and drain cistern
disconnect water inlet
then under cistern is two wing nuts, one each side remove them.
and their may be two screws in the top of cistern in to wall remove them.
then you have cistern free to change parts.

but check the foam washer between toilet pan and cistern thats called a do-nut fitting or close couple fixing.

http://www.toolstation.com/images/library/stock/webbig/85615.jpg

the foam washer over the years get compressed and when refitting can leak. so i always fit a new one if been installed some yrs. cost pennies. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back