Replace old thermostat and timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old thermostat and timer for flat i just got, I want to replace them and Im wondering if I can replace both with one unit. Not sure how I would do this those since there is 2 wires, one for each device I assume. Any ideas?

nmxao5.jpg

15pqpnm.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. The thermostat and timer each contain a switching contacts. They will be wired in series, so that one set of contacts is fed through the other. This means both the timer and thermostat need to be 'on' for the heating to operate.

You can replace them both with a programmable thermostat that has both functions combined into one.

If you need any more help, a photo of where the wires are connected inside would be helpful.

Here is one photos pf the insides.

Could you maybe give me a link to a few suitable units?
Thank you.

24peaah.jpg

160y7t0.jpg

mt1err.jpg

Any programmable thermostat with voltage free contacts will replace what you currently have. If you are happy with the thermostat location and it works well in its current location, go for a wired thermostat. I would normally go for Honeywell [CM907], Danfoss [TP5000Si], or Drayton [Digistat+]. As a general rule of thumb, and as with most products, you get what you pay for. Have a look at the specifications on line to make sure they have the facilities you require, and you might want to check the instructions. Some are more complicated than others to use.

If the thermostat would work better in another location, a wireless thermostat that can be located anywhere would also be fine. The receiver box would then go where the current thermostat wiring is located. The previously mentioned manufacturers offer 'Wireless RF' versions. Nest and Hive offer remote control from a smart phone as well as other facilities via WiFi, but cost considerably more.

If you find a thermostat that you like, feel free to post back for a suitability check.

I can't see all of the wires and exactly where they are connected, especially where they cross over each other, but looking at the photos and the connections together, I believe that one of the incoming cables will have its wires connected to the thermostat terminals numbered 2 and 3. These will be the switching wires. The other cable will be the 230V mains supply, the red of which I believe will go to the Timeswitch 'L' and the black to the Thermostat 'N' If the reality is different post back what you have.

Sponsored Links
From what I can see in your photos and knowing how the two items work, I believe this is the wiring is now. If it's any different, don't proceed and post back.

Existing.jpg

The CM907 is battery powered, so it does not need the main L and N 230V supply. The wires should either be disconnected from their source and removed, or isolated & insulated safely and tucked out of the way in a corner of the thermostat enclosure. Personally I would chose the latter in case they are required again at some point in the future.

The two remaining switching wires would then connect to the Honeywell CM907 as below.

CM907.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back