Replace outward opening upvc conservatory french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm in desperate need of advice! We Inherited a upvc conservatory when we moved into our new house which hss doors which open outwards. So, hinges are on outside. Can we get new doors fitted which open inwards without having to replace the whole conservatory? !! Having internal hinges would make me feel much safer. Almost everyone I know that has been burgaled has had their french doors removed by the hinges... if I can't have doors replaced are there new fangled high security hinges we can buy and replace with existing door? I've been searching the web and just can't find any info...

Thanks very much for reading!

Sponsored Links
I have never hear of any break ins by attacking the hinges before, anyone else?
Maybe some really old cheap hinges but modern hinges are pretty solid, It would be much easier, Quicker and Quieter to just break the glass.
Can you post a pic of your hinges?

To answer your questions though:
Yes it should be fairly straight forward to fit new inwards opening doors or to retro fit some dog bolts (see items 4/5 on this page) http://security-hardware.co.uk/upvc-door-hinges

If your really worried about security in addition to the dog bolts you should look at upgrading the locks to anti snap, Anti drill and maybe even laminated glass for down stairs windows.

Sponsored Links
ive never really seen people breaking hinges to get in, just smashing glass or snapping barrels, get antisnap barrels and lami glass first IMO

I can understand your dilemma, although there are many security upgrade options as already suggested. But in reality, thieves are generally opportunists, so fitting a burglar alarm head would be my first option. Visible from both the roadside access point and in full view of the said door, that should put your mind at rest.
It's been proven that by simply erecting a pair of watching eyes can affect behavior and stop thefts, have a look - http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-of-being-observed-can-make-you-better-person ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back