replace spotlights with pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have 5 spotlights in a room and i would like to replace them with one pendant. I would like to disconnect the 4 at the corners and replace the middle one with a pendant. Each spotlight has a transformer and i guess it is daisy chained and i believe the central one is the last one. Aside from plastering, is the electrics something i can do myself by removing the transformers and use terminal connectors to make sure electricity goes through or is it a more complicated thing that requires rewiring the whole thing? I am a decent diy person but would like to do a proper job.
Thanks for any help
PXL_20231030_120109070.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suspect the central one may be the first if the room originally had a pendant

no the room was done with spotlights and the central one only has wires coming in so should be the last one in. the question for me is more about how to go with the wiring from switch to central one.

You could pull out from the ceiling all the fittings/ transformers/ wiring for investigation. One of them will likely be the first on the loop of 5. The incoming cable to that would need to be extended to the new pendant position.
It really depends on what you find / can access ,could be a number of junction boxes up there.

Sponsored Links
You could pull out from the ceiling all the fittings/ transformers/ wiring for investigation. One of them will likely be the first on the loop of 5. The incoming cable to that would need to be extended to the new pendant position.
It really depends on what you find / can access ,could be a number of junction boxes up there.
Thanks Terry. The first one is the corner one closer to the switch and the last one is the middle one. So i'll need to extend the initial cable right? as in, if i remove the transformers and extend the cable all the way through the spotlights it's a dodgy hack right?

Not quite with you ? Do you mean remove all the trannies and light fittings ,and use maintenance free junction boxes to remake all the connections at each of those points ,utilising the existing wiring ? If so,then yes ,you could do it that way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back