Mystery spotlight outage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi - i've got a mixture of pendant and spotlights upstairs in my house. I just replaced the ceiling rose for pendant light and accidentally left one of three earth wires loose. Everything worked fine initially then I realised the spotlights will not turning on in other rooms in the house upstairs. I checked my handiwork and realised one of the three earth wires had come loose, I put it back in position and now that light and another pendant light in a different bedroom works but none of the spotlights upstairs (landing and bathroom) work. Could I have blown all the transformers with my earthing error? Baffled and frustrated! Please help if you can, thanks

Sponsored Links
Not connecting the earth will prevent fuses/circuit breakers from operating when some types of faults occur and could lead to electric shocks, injury and death.
It will not damage transformers or anything else.

It's rather more likely that there are loose connections at the new ceiling rose or it is wired incorrectly.

If connecting and earth wire makes the lights work then there is some thing seriously wrong. Get the lights checked out by a professional as although earth is required for safety it is not a current carrying cable except under fault conditions.

It is common for people to get line and neutral mixed up with lights where there is often a black line wire, where the red sleeve has fallen off, but not earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back