Replace thermostat: wiring sanity check

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm thinking about replacing several mechanical dial thermostats with programmable ones. Looking at Heatmiser Edge, as it seems to be have the desired features at a reasonable price. This is for 5 zones of a wet underfloor heating system. If you can recommend alternatives I'd be interested as I haven't ordered anything yet.

The current thermostat wiring is this:
IMG-20191023-193050.jpg

IMG-20191023-193038.jpg

There are 5 thermostats around the house that connect to a Heatmiser uh8 box that controls the valves/pump/boiler.

The wiring diagram from the planned new thermostat is this:
Screenshot-20191024-090412.png

Am I correct to think the cable currently connected to 6 with the blue sleeve is the neutral, and would connect to N on new thermostat?
On the new thermostat I would connect L and A1 together and then connect the brown live wire currently connected to 1. The black wire currently connected to 3 is the signal wire that would connect to A2 on the new thermostat.

This about the limit of what I am confident to DIY, so I would be grateful if you could either reassure me that I have understood the instructions correctly or tell me this is much more complicated than I realise so I should get a professional in!

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Am I correct to think the cable currently connected to 6 with the blue sleeve is the neutral, and would connect to N on new thermostat?
Yes grey is neutral
On the new thermostat I would connect L and A1 together and then connect the brown live wire currently connected to 1.
Yes brown is supply
The black wire currently connected to 3 is the signal wire that would connect to A2 on the new thermostat.
again correct
This about the limit of what I am confident to DIY, so I would be grateful if you could either reassure me that I have understood the instructions correctly or tell me this is much more complicated than I realise so I should get a professional in!

Thanks in advance
A1 and A2 it does not matter which way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back