Replace uPVC hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big (about 800x800) top hung first floor window got caught by the wind and the bottom of the hinge seemed to get jammed on or over the stop at the bottom of the hinge. In attempting to shut the window the bottom arm of the hinge has been badly bent so I think hinge will need replacing. Assuming I can find a hinge, how do I swap it? from outside off a ladder, should I remove the unit to make it lighter? can I strap it anyway or hold it so I can do from inside? I'm a bit worried about the thing falling out as it's probably going to be just me.

Picture is the other side that's ok. Should I try to straighten the bent hinge (managed to get it free and part shut for the night) although I get the impression it needs to be pretty much dead right to work properly.

IMG_20220201_191743043.jpg

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm only a DIY'er, but have done this to my own windows.

I would remove the sealed unit from the casement; it will now be considerably lighter!
Then undo the hinges from the frame and manoeuvre the casement through the gap, from the inside.
Replace the hinges on the casement, manoeuvre it back through the frame and reattach.

Even though the frame is lighter, that is a large window, and you will really benefit from assistance, just removing the sealed unit (especially if the casement is not fully secured), will be difficult enough.

If you haven't removed a sealed unit before, there are plenty of videos on YouTube, example here:

I hope that helps, and good luck! :)

Thanks. I've managed to straighten the hinge and make it functional (if a bit tight and creaky) for the time being. The tenant is moving soon so I'll replace both hinges then. I presume both sides are a bit worn because the bottom locking pins rub on the bottom of the frame and the keep so I think it all needs lifting up a bit.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I've already ordered one. It's a middle aged lady at the moment but likely children in future. I also noticed 2 small screws on the hinges - friction adjustment I believe, so I tightened them up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back