Replace Velux with a normal double glazed unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a bit of advice. I had a guy from round last night to look at some windows / conservatory. Before you jump to conclusions, it's a local small family business, well recommended and the guy was ery honest about what needed doing.

I asked him to quote to replace some 30 year old wooden velux units with new pvc. We want some changes to the design (part fixed glass, part opening) and he suggested that as the roof is 45 degrees we could probably just use a normal double glazed unit to replace the velux. He didn't go in to details as how it would be done other than mentioning leaving the velux flashing in place.

Is this possible? I can't find any examples and I don't see how a normal unit can do what the velux does in terms of water run off, and rain protection when part opened. It only saved about £300 per unit (3 units) do it's not about the cost, it was more about the flexibility with design.

Sponsored Links
Normal wall windows are designed to be fitted into and operated in a vertical wall not at 45°. You will end up with an unsatisfactory method of flashing the window and problems with drainage. There may be other problems too. Why not just replace the Velux's with new Velux's? :confused:

Or do you mean a upvc rooflight designed for fitting into a roof?

That was my thinking.

I have already had a quote for Velux replacement, and this guy could also do it, but he was offering it as an alternative.

I didn't want to dismiss the idea just because I'd never seen it work. I'll wait for a few more replies incase anyone pops along with a link to some clever kit that makes it work. Otherwise I'll stick with Velux, it's only £900 difference over the 3 windows.

Edit : the only extra info, he's also quoting me for a glass-roofed conservatory with opening vents. Perhaps he was thinking of something like that. My old Velux opening is too big, I want the light but only a small opening so that the window doesn't interfere with the shower (the existing Velux travels through the space that could be occupied by the shower cubicle).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back