Replace window panels vs. brand new install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Detached bungalow, two windows on the front now have several blown panels.
I need advice on the cost of replacing *all* the double glazing panels vs. ripping out the whole window and installing new frame + new panels.

Window A: 3m x 1.5 m (6 panels)
Window B: 1.7m x 1m (4 panels)

Is it cheaper/quicker to just replace the panels? And can the installers get a good weather proof fit in an existing frame, which has been facing the weather for many years?

Sponsored Links
For a rough idea of the cost of sealed units, you can have a look here..

Albeit these are for a DIY install, but it will give you a ballpark figure.

Also bear in mind, depending on the height, location, or size of the unit, they may have to be toughened.
If you have problems with solar gain, have a look at the coatings available.
All your choices will effect cost!

Easy to say, but it is usually best to get a few prices from trusted local companies.

Apologies for hijacking this thread but I'm in the same boat.
If you want to swap out a sealed unit how do you measure the glass thickness and cavity width without removing the old one first ....you can't can you ?

If you want to swap out a sealed unit how do you measure the glass thickness and cavity width without removing the old one first ....you can't can you ?

Sponsored Links
If you've got an opening window you can measure the overall thickness of the glazed bit.
Open window
Measure thickness of window.
Measure depth of glass behind frame both sides.
Subtract depths from window thickness.

Yes I've just replace some with different thickness space bars.
Measure frame thickness then place a straight edge across the frame inside and measure between it and glass ..repeat outside and subtract the total of the two measurements from frame thickness .
Unless large panels , your supplier should advise, glass is probably 4mm so take 8mm from the panel thickness to get spacer bar thickness....it worked okay on the 10 units I did

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back