Replaced Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i replaced my front room light , there was 2 cables coming out of the ceiling which i connected up to the terminal block which was supplied with the light,
but they also supplied a single terminal block which they described as 'Loop'
i didnt use that bit as there was no other wires to go into it.

i have two switches in the room , one is a normal switch with 1 cable to it,
and the other is a dimmer , with 2 cables going to it.

im presuming that the normal switch is wired to the dimmer , then the dimmer cable gos to the ceiling light!?
( oh by the way, the instructions said dont use light with a dimmer)

when i turned the power back on the light came on, but when i turned the light off at the switch it tripped the fuse!

what should i do?

ps it also says in the instructions that the light fitting should be connected to a 5 amp fused circuit!? whats all that about ?

pps i am not a qualified leccy

Sponsored Links
I suggest you put the old light back or get rid of the dimmer since you said

AndyBill said:
.................the other is a dimmer .............

then you also said
AndyBill said:
.................( oh by the way, the instructions said dont use light with a dimmer)
:rolleyes:

The two red wires at the ceiling are joined in the terminal block called LOOP. Nothing else connects to these

One of the black wires should have a red sleeve or tape on it. If that is the case then that is the switched live from the switch, connect the brown wire from the fitting to that black wire.

The other black wire is the Neutral from the fuse box, connect the blue wire from the fitting to that black.

If neither black has a red sleeve or tape it isn't too critical if the blue and brown are connected to the wrong blacks.

The reason the light came on is that you connected it direct across the live and neutral from the fuse box. The fure blew when you operated the switch because you had the switch also connected across the live and neutral from the fuse box and when it was turned ON it shorted out the live nad neutral.

There is a diagrem in the Wiki section of this forum.

If you change another light fitting make a note of how the wires are connected BEFORE you disconnect anything. You may find 3 cables with 3 red wires in the loop terminal. Then one wire from the light will be conneced to two of the blacks and the other wire from the lamp to one single black. That single black is the switched LIVE and you need to label it so it is not "lost".

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back