replaced clay tiles with concrete - reinforce timbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my hip & valley pitched roof re-covered with concrete tiles (Marley Eternit 'Ashmore'). Old covering was clay tiles.

The roofer is not proposing to put in any new collars or struts to support the weight of the new tiles. He says that there is actually less weight on the roof timbers now, as there are less concrete tiles per square metre than with the old clay tiles.

I am worried that he is trying to justify a 'short cut'. Or perhaps I am just being too belt-and-braces?

Would appreciate any advice - happy to provide more relevant info if required!

Sponsored Links
Basic like for like clay to concrete, then concrete is heavier.. but if you have plain clay tiles and are replacing with the interlocking ones then average weight can be reduced as they require less overlap.. if in doubt can always give Marley a call (may need measurements of original tile) to confirm..

thanks Static

roofer said old tile was 6" x 10" single camber clay tile

new concrete are interlocking.

thanks Static

roofer said old tile was 6" x 10" single camber clay tile

new concrete are interlocking.
Single Camber Clays: 56kg/m ² (0.55 kN/m ² ) at 115mm gauge (vertical)
Ashmore: 52kg/m2 (0.51kN/m²) at 92mm headlap

So naff all in it,..

So long as your current tiles look something like :
AcmeSingleTile.ashx

To be honest i wouldnt worry too much the Ashmore tiles look pretty lightweight for concrete tiles..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back