Eternit Tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting quotes to replace my roof, leaking in 3 places. I am getting conflicting information on Eternit tiles. The current roof is the original Eternit Abes Tile, 30yrs old. One roofer i spoke to is not happy to instal Eternit Tiles (Marley) he said he had problems. he was unhappy with the thin copper rivet and the quality of the tiles. The customer (not the same style of property that i live in) stopped the job and they ended up taking them off and using Spanish Slate instead. My concern with using Spanish Slate, will the roof trusses and sarkin boards support the weight. Or is there any other alternative to Eternit

Your help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Just worked out you mean Asbestos slate

The current Eternit slates are fine and as for the quality of the rivet that is totally down to the supplier of the fixings, nothing to do with Eternit. It may be more that your roofer has an issue with Marley (Eternit) who can be a pain to deal with as far as deliveries are concerned though this isn't an issue if they are using a merchant.

There are other suppliers of fibre cement slates such as Cembrit (who are a bit cheaper too)

As far as the comment about someone using Spanish slates instead, this may just have been a personal choice by the client due to the look of the slates, the fibre cement slates look fake (even if they are riven) and natural slates will always look better (and last longer)

It would be fairly unusual for a roof covered in fibre cement slates to not be able to bear the weight of natural slates but a surveyor should be employed to check the structure out if you look to take that route

It's rare there are problems with the rivets... cement fibre slates do look fake as SRE has said. As far as the slate is concerned the biggest problem is the discolouring caused by letting the slates get wet while still stacked in an open pallet..

personally if I had to choose i'd go for a natural slate that will have a better life span than the cf slate..

That's why we favour cembrit over eternit they don't get the white staining
like the eternit's when wet..And there cheaper bundled better

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for you comments.

I now have info to speak to my roofer about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back