Concrete tiles or eternits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My slate roof needs replacing and im not sure what to replace it with. Would like to use welsh slate but my builder says its f***ing expensive so the choice seems to be concrete tiles or eternits. As its a victorian house i think eternits will look better but i`ve heard that they dont last as long as tiles. Are there different types of eternit or just the standard thrutone that i`ve heard of ?
Also do i have to inform the local council of the roof work ?

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
don't forget that concrete tiles weigh a lot more than slates. make sure your roof is capable of supporting the extra weight.

My slate roof needs replacing and im not sure what to replace it with. Would like to use welsh slate but my builder says its f***ing expensive so the choice seems to be concrete tiles or eternits. As its a victorian house i think eternits will look better but i`ve heard that they dont last as long as tiles. Are there different types of eternit or just the standard thrutone that i`ve heard of ?
Also do i have to inform the local council of the roof work ?

Any advice would be appreciated

as a roofer i would never use eternits on my own roof at a little extra cost natral slate would not only look better on your victorian house but last alot longer as well, you dont have to use welsh slate (although they are the best) ,there are many naturaul slates on the market. look into it a little further befour you take your builders advise,there are many web sites out there that will let you view your new roof with just a few dimensions given

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back