Replaced consumer unit advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My brother had his consumer unit replaced (from an old wire-fuse style box) end of November last year by a local Ltd electrical company. The company advertises locally and has lots of positive reviews from previous clients.

To date he's not received any electrical installation certificate or building control certificate, only a summary document of the state of the rest of the installation. The local building control website doesn't list any notifications for this work being done.

After doing some research, he believes he should have had some certificates by now - the company doesn't appear on the http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ site.

Regards,

Bob R

Sponsored Links
After doing some research, he believes he should have had some certificates by now - the company doesn't appear on the http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ site.
That site is deeply flawed as it only lists Domestic Installers. I have raised this with the website, the NIC and the Electrical Safety Council before. Hopefully this will be corrected at some stage.

That said, you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate. As for other certificates etc. that really will depend upon where you live.

That site is deeply flawed as it only lists Domestic Installers. I have raised this with the website, the NIC and the Electrical Safety Council before. Hopefully this will be corrected at some stage.

That said, you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate. As for other certificates etc. that really will depend upon where you live.

I have looked on the individual sites too (NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA) to name a few, with no results. They also don't list any registration numbers or anything on their website or paperwork.

I have found quite a few documents (and websites) that state it is the home owners responsibility to do this, and some (including the Part P online gov pdf) that say it is the Installers responsibility (without defining installer, assume this will be company that's doing the work).

The law states -

"A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—"

Your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's.

Whoever, it should have been notified before the work commenced.

All you can do now, if you want to, is contact the Building Control and explain the situation - and do whatever they say to "regularise" the work.

Sponsored Links
The law states -

"A person intending to carry out building work in relation to which Part P of Schedule 1 imposes a requirement is required to give a building notice or deposit full plans where the work consists of—"

Your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's.

Whoever, it should have been notified before the work commenced.

All you can do now, if you want to, is contact the Building Control and explain the situation - and do whatever they say to "regularise" the work.
I will get him to contact the local building control tomorrow. The legislation seems rather vague considering it's law! Does it mean the person wanting the work done, or the actual person doing the work?

Have confirmed that the document he got summarising the condition of the the installation is marked as an EICR BS7671. No registration numbers are on the document, although has been signed but only named "The Company" with company address.

I will get him to contact the local building control tomorrow. The legislation seems rather vague considering it's law! Does it mean the person wanting the work done, or the actual person doing the work?
That's the debate we often have here!

Some people seem to have strong views in relation to one interpretation or the other - but the fact that there are those two opposing camps (with the majority of us probably being "don't knows" in between) is a sure sign that the answer is not quite as 'obvious' as those with the polarised views seem to think :)

Kind Regards, John

As I said, your interpretation is as valid as anyone else's.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/3119/regulation/6/made

Have confirmed that the document he got summarising the condition of the the installation is marked as an EICR BS7671. No registration numbers are on the document, although has been signed but only named "The Company" with company address.
If completed correctly and extensive enough, that might satisfy the BC.

There is no reason why the company cannot issue the correct EIC. It is part of the job and should be issued.
Anyone can issue one, registered or not; it has nothing to do with notifying the work or not.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back