replaced rad - broke central heating!! help !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i had a small double rad in kitchen which did not work. Pipes would get warm but rad freezing. Having kitchen rejigged so decided to replace faulty double rad with a longer single rad. I shut of all water supplies, drained the rad, carried out the required cutting and shutting of pipes etc then turned the water supply back on. I assumed i would have to at least bleed that rad if not the rest of them too. When i turn on the central heating now it proceeds to trip out after approx 3 mins or so. I then have to carry out full reset to get it to work again. It comes back on but carrys on to do same again. The boiler and heating make some crazy noises. There is obviulsy a bad air lock which i was expecting but how the hell do i get rid of it.?? Iv tried bleeding the kitchen rad but after getting some air out now and again i dont get any water. Ive checked other rads and the other 2 downstairs rads have water but all the upstairs dont bleed any air or water?? I noticed the pump waas getting very hot, i assume its due to having no steady flow of water going thru so i keep turning it off for long periods. Iv tried venting the pump but doesnt seem to do anything, no air comes out and no water. Only thing left is a large bleed valve on a pipe in front of tank in airing cupboard. Would i need to bleed it here? the valve is larger than a rad bleed key and i dont have one to fit it. My boiler is a baxi solo 2 rs. Am i missing something obvious here or could i have a blockage or something? seems strange im not getting any water at upstairs rads. Help much appreciated!!!! thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Check the small tank feeding the CH & see if it has any water in it, it sounds like the ball valve may be stuck or the cold feed is blocked.

Check the small tank feeding the CH & see if it has any water in it, it sounds like the ball valve may be stuck or the cold feed is blocked.

hi cheers for quick reply. Forgot to mention checked both small and large tank in loft and both are around 3/4 full with water. Would a blockage be that likely tho seeing as though the heating worked fine before i changed rad? cheers
p.s anyone watching the joke that is england?? :cry:

i don't know why you changed the rad any way just cause it didn't get hot don't mean it's faulty.
try draining the system and you'll see if the f/e tank is emptying and refilling.
if the system is draining and the f/e tank is not and the ball valve is not refilling you have a blockage.

Sponsored Links
Would a blockage be that likely tho seeing as though the heating worked fine before i changed rad?

Even though the heating was working before there could possibly be a blockage, it might be allowing a trickle of water through which would be enough to keep a full system topped up, but would take days to fill up from empty.

i don't know why you changed the rad any way just cause it didn't get hot don't mean it's faulty.
try draining the system and you'll see if the f/e tank is emptying and refilling.
if the system is draining and the f/e tank is not and the ball valve is not refilling you have a blockage.

changed it for aesthetic reasons, the double rad was at one side of the room so moved it to centre of room and changed for longer thinner rad. Would of just bled the old one otherwise. Is it common for a blockage to occur when the system has been drained?/??

cheers

as keego said blockage may already of been their or it has shifted muck and caused a blockage.
but you may be jumping in the deep end and may not be blocked only an airlock. they can be just as bad sometimes.
check if the tank refills first.

Would a blockage be that likely tho seeing as though the heating worked fine before i changed rad?

Even though the heating was working before there could possibly be a blockage, it might be allowing a trickle of water through which would be enough to keep a full system topped up, but would take days to fill up from empty.

yep makes sense. Well im not living in the property at min so its gonna at least be left 24hrs if not longer. Il try bleeding again then if not i suppose its hunt for the blockage. Is there a common place for a blockage to occur or totally random?

cheers

as keego said blockage may already of been their or it has shifted muck and caused a blockage.
but you may be jumping in the deep end and may not be blocked only an airlock. they can be just as bad sometimes.
check if the tank refills first.

ok cheers for advice will check it out over weekend.

First place to look is where the cold feed is teed into the system. If your in no hurry leave it overnight, if it is an airlock it might clear itself.

First place to look is where the cold feed is teed into the system. If your in no hurry leave it overnight, if it is an airlock it might clear itself.

ye fingers crossed! thanks for advice

if ya jus want to get it goin ya could back fill it? if it is blocked id sort it out tho, it'll only cause more probs if ya dont

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back