Replacement ballast has fewer connections...

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18243

Hello All, I have a problem with a ballast...

I need to replace a failed Tridonic PC2X32 C001 but have been told that they are obsolete. My supplier says that it has been superseded by the Tridonic PC2X36 T8 PRO, and so I have bought one of these.

However, on the output side of this new ballast there are only 6 terminals where the old one had 8. I have 8 wires coming from the two tubes, so where do the two leftover wires go?

The old ballast's terminals were numbered 1-8, and the new ones are numbered 11-16.

Comparing the wiring diagrams on the cases of the two units - and this is hard to explain without being able to post the drawing - the difference is that on the new one, the outer pins of the cathodes at the far end of both tubes are linked to each other; and on the old unit these pins are not directly linked, but each goes to a separate terminal on the ballast (these are terminal numbers 4 and 5) However, these two terminals are shown on the diagram to be linked.

Can I simply connect the two spare wires together outside of the unit or have I got the wrong ballast?

The supplier (I won't name them) does not know the answer and has told me to contact Tridonic. I thought I'd ask here before doing that

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes, just join the two wires together. Sometimes it is possible by means of two connections in an end cap.

As spark 123 says you can join the two wires together, you should find one wire comes from one tube and one from the other as per your new drawing

As spark 123 also says, an alternative way without using a connector is when the end cap has facility for two wires to each terminal, then you can cut and jump the wire between the two holders, and remove one wire, but if theres a risk of breaking the end cap, then leave be and join the wires

Sponsored Links
Job's done now, I fitted the new ballast, joined the two wires and then there was light, many thanks Spark 123 and 333Rocky333.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back