FLUOESCENT BALLAST ADVICE REQUIRED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am swapping the ballasts in 4 of my six twin tube fluorescent workshop lights.

The problem I have is that now I have replaced them with new ones, only 1 of the 2 bulbs illuminate on each of the 4 lights.

I have swapped the bulbs around and the same thing happens, so this rules out the bulbs themselves.

The defective ballasts were Thorn and the new ones- equivalent are Tridonic.

The problem I feel lies with the terminal numbers as on the Thorrn they are labelled 1 to 6, whilst on the Tridonic they are lablelled 11 to 16.

I have taken it that the Thorn 1 is 11 on Tridonic and Thorn 2 is Tridonic 12 and so on.

However I don't think this is correct and would appreciate some advice on how to understand the terminal diagram on the ballasts as I have it wrong obviously!

Regards

Arnold9801

Sponsored Links
twin tube tridonic.jpg

This is PROBABLY the way the twin tubes are connected to the Tridonic. It would help if you provided the Tridonic part number

The Tridonic ballast is a PC 2X58 T8 PRO si. it replades the defective Thorn GK258.

Each one has the wing diagram on it, but to me I am not sure which ones on the Tridonic match the ones on the old Thorn.

Sponsored Links
Most tridonics use 6 wires only including a pc pro 2x58
The outer 2 terminals call lamp 1 go to lamp 1 end cap
The 3rd inner terminal next to them goes to lamp 1 other end

The other outer 2 terminals call lamp 2 go to lamp2 endcap
The 3rd inner terminal next to them goes to lamp 2 other end.

Each tube has 4 endcap terminals, therefore 8 for two tubes
You now have 1 unused terminal on lamp 1 endcap
You now have 1 unused terminal on lamp 2 endcap
Link these terminals together, if theres wires in already, join together, if it is a 6 terminal ballast then they do not go back or connect to the ballast

Bernards drawings a pca ballast for dimmable T5 lamps and not suitable for use with your T8 58watt lamps

Easier to forget the old numbers and connect as bernards diagram,if you have a SEVEN term ballast, but if you have a SIX term ballast just ignore term 13 and the link back to the ballast and connect the same as the remaining six terms as shown in diagram

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back