Replacement Ballast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hoping someone can give me some advice. The lighting unit for my fish tank has stopped working and am trying to replace the ballast. I have had a look on RS components and can find one that I believe fits my needs by comparing the specs on the old one to the new one. The only query I have is that the replacement is a 49w where I have a 48w. My guess is that as long as the wattage is more then is needed by the bulbs (2 x 24w bulbs) then this is acceptable but just looking for some reassurance. As I am unfamiliar with ballast is there any other indicators that I need to ensure match.

Many thanks for any assistance

Sponsored Links
That Philips 'ballast' will work perfectly, however make sure you follow the wiring instructions with the new ballast, not the old one

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to Iggifer for the reply. Have ordered the ballast and just have one small question with connecting it to the wiring. Please see the picture, it looks like you just press the wiring in much similar to a telephone connection but is that all that is needed, do you just leave the top exposed? Or is there an additional item that I need and if so would you have a link or a name I could search the internet for. Many thanks again for the assistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back