Ballast replacement advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I recently bought a ballast to replace the one in my bathroom serving a 2d light fitting. The existing (black) ballast is shown below wired up. I ordered the white one thinking it to be a straight replacement (2d fluorescent, single fitting, 26W). I did look to the manufatcturers website for a like for like swop but read somewhere that the fitting was cheap and the cause of my bulbs failing quite regularly, so i purchased this high frequency ballast. However i seem now to not have enough terminals to install it. Can anyone advise given the current installation and pictures below?

thanks

Attachments

• WP_20170827_16_56_08_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_16_56_08_Pro.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 324
  • WP_20170827_16_56_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_16_56_57_Pro.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 356
  • WP_20170827_16_57_34_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170827_16_57_34_Pro.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links
The only terminal you’re missing is an earth terminal. The new driver doesn’t require one so just ensure the metal plate is earthed if it isn’t already, and then just (looks like you need to ship them off the old unit) transfer the other cables across.

New one isn’t polarity marked so L&N can go either ways around

Thanks for the quick reply, but i have no clue how to move the wires over. Could you give me a quick mapping please?

That looks like the wrong ballast anyway, it will likely work but the lamp life may be less than it was with the Robus ballast which are a reasonable make.
Your problem maybe cheap lamps.
To fit that just remove the earth link wire, the fitting is earthed via the metal tab.
I asume you have been using 28 watt 2d lamps

EDIT
Seems the ballast is ok, though its not marked on the unit
http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Tridonic-PC-1X26W-Basic

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply, but i have no clue how to move the wires over. Could you give me a quick mapping please?

Both ballasts have 1 2 3 4 on, they are the same on each
L is brown
N is blue and they are both AC
There is no G/Y earth needed on the white balllast

Thanks.. i'm not clear still on where the live and neutral wires that are currently housed in the LNE terminals on the black ballast should go. Is it to those two terminals on the left of the new ballast, and if so which way around? Also not sure where the metal tab you mention for earthing is. What do i do with the earth cable once removed as i don't see a handy attachment point on the light fitting.

Hi yes regarding suitability it did say in the ebay listing that it was ok for 28w bulbs too, cheers.

Thanks.. i'm not clear still on where the live and neutral wires that are currently housed in the LNE terminals on the black ballast should go. Is it to those two terminals on the left of the new ballast, and if so which way around? Also not sure where the metal tab you mention for earthing is. What do i do with the earth cable once removed as i don't see a handy attachment point on the light fitting.

The 2 terminals with the squiggly lines are AC supply, so anyway round.
Cannot tell from your picture, in the clear plastic connecter under the earth wire is usually a metal tab, that earths the fitting

If no tab, you need to ensure the plates earthed, its possible the plate was earthed via the back of the old robus ballast

I noticed an earth sign next to a screwhole on the fitting and attached it there..(is that right?) however.. i've wired it up as you suggest and it isnt powering up. I have the old bulb and two new ones and the same thing happens.. a little flickering on one half of the bulb then nothing. Any idea's? I'll attach a pic in a sec so you can check my install.

*update*

Mystery solved. It was the butler. Or rather, a wire had come loose. Thanks again :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back