Electronic Ballasts

T

toasty

Hello,

I hope someone can advise.

I purchased a replacement electronic ballast for our bathroom light. I found the range available really quite overwhelming, but I'm happy that the one I bought is practically like for like replacement for what I already had (except the old one had flying leads vs screw connectors on the new one, and this one has a metal chassis and an earth terminal)

I've attached a picture (as we all love pictures, right?!)
http://www.flatoutplastering.co.uk/images/bathroom_ballast.jpg

The lamp it uses is a 21W 2D 4pin low energy one.

I ended up buying a ballast specifically for 2D lamps, but afterwards I wondered if any 21w electronic ballast would have done, i.e one for a T5 or T8 tube etc...

Additionally, if someone were now to put a 16W 2D lamp into my bathroom light fitting, would this cause a problem? Does the ballast and the lamp have to be that accurately matched... (to the best of my knowledge a 21w and 16w 2D have the same base.)

That's all really,
Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Although there are specific electronic ballasts available for 2D lamps, any suitably rated one should work correctly. If the ballast is rated too high for the lamp it will eventually fail prematurely due to burn out.
Rated too low and the lamp may fail to start or may flicker or flash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back