Help with Round Ceiling Light - Ballast?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everybody,

A person who I know is having trouble with his hallway light.

It is a round enclosed fitting, and the same type of fitting is installed in the bedroom and bathroom.

A new lamp put into the fitting failed to work, so we tried the new lamp in the bedroom fitting and it worked, as did the existing lamp from the hallway light which we initially thought had failed.

I opened up the fitting and did basic voltage tests with a two probe voltage tester and then after with a multimeter. There was as expected, voltage between Loop and Neutral, Loop and Earth, Switched Live (with switch on) and Neutral, and Switched Live and Earth.

From the SW Live a piece of wire goes to a white component, which I suspect is a ballast, and then to the connector for the lamp.
No output voltage was shown from the output of this component.

The component has the following details on it's body:

EDA TSE (surrounded by a horizontal diamond shape) 16W
B6M C16 Made in Turkey
240V
50HZ

0.20A 044
tw 130 At55

EE1 = B2

There is also a circuit diagram on it, and before the 044 there is a funny 'L' type symbol.

Are these components replaceable or is a new fitting needed?

The light fitting itself:

16W 2D
240V MAX
P

The lamp used in the fitting:

CE BELL
2D 16W 35000K 2P
SP - K17

The reason I am asking if this is a ballast and other questions is because I am not very familiar with this type of light.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Sponsored Links
It's an electronic ballast or driver.
They can be replaced, but it's often just as cheap to buy a whole new light fitting.

Cheers, I would also like to point out I could not find the name of any manufacturer on the fitting itself.

Sponsored Links
Its a Magnetic choke that is why its using a 2 pin lamp, a suitable replacement might be found by googling Tridonic Ec16.
If you look close its marked L for the power in and Lamp, any decent make will do the job..
You dont want an electronic ballast as that will entail altering the wiring and replacing the lampholder and lamp with 4 pin versions.
A choke if you can get one, can cost under a tenner so worth it if you like the fitting.

2966-3526-thickbox_default.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back