Replacement Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a very old Ideal Standard (20+ years old) floor mounted boiler feeding 7 radiators (via 8mm OD pipe) and providing DHW via the storage tank curly tubey thingy (I like to use the correct terminology whenever possible :) )

I will soon be replacing my kitchen and this coupled with a very small leak somewhere within the boiler means I will take to opportunity to replace it also.

Now the questions: I plan to replace it with a standard wall mounted boiler (i.e. not condensing or combi) and retain my loft expansion tank and storage tank, however I would like to have more control over the new system and keep it all as self contained as possible.

Presently my CH comes on twice daily and is just one simple loop, however I would like to separate this so that I can have the hot water loop working independently to the CH (and if possible upstairs independent to the downstairs) however I have no idea what components I should be looking for (or where to source them from, suggestions???). In fact, I'm not even sure what will come with the boiler, will it have a pump built in or will I have to find a home for one (the current boiler is inside a metal cupboard and is fairly self contained).

I have seen a 60,000btu boiler at Wickes (looks like a Halstead Hero) for £409, is this a good deal, will it have a pump built in, is there a better option for my given application?

I hope the above is legible enough to make some sense?

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
try a forum search on halstead
and gauge the general concensus of opinion :LOL:

Just a few problems then!

As an aside, in following your suggestion I came accross a post stating that a Corgi guy cannot certify work he hasn't done himself. As I was kinda relying on fitting the boiler, pipework etc and getting in Corgi chappie at the end to connect the gas etc this is a slight concern, hence is this accurate?

If so, could I dry fit it all meself and then remove the boiler and let the Corgi bloke fit it hopefully still saving a few quid?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back