Replacement Combi Boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I do not want to install this boiler myself. I am not a plumber & I am not a gas registered engineer. I am not a craftsman. We simply want to choose the boiler ourselves without any advice from the installer. I asked some very simple questions, I dont want to hear any advice about asking local installers & their views on a new boiler. I said it would be fitted by a gas engineer, that`s the law as far as I know. Gents, if you think my manner is abrupt, its because i`m not getting the advice I asked for, if you think i`m going to install this myself, scroll on by, I dont want to be consistently told to speak to my chosen installer. We will choose our own boiler, then check to see if its suitable for the job, if not, we will choose another. We will not leave the choice to an installer, we have done this twice, & each time been ripped off bu unscrupulous people, people in your profession. Advice from yourselves is appreciated as none of you have an agenda. Fezster, thank you, you are correct, £2500 is a lot of money to pay out, so we simply want to choose our own boiler.

Dan, perhaps its people like you who are arrogant, thinking you are unique in your profession & any advice you give MUST be taken. Well, it was 2 members of your profession who ripped my lads off in the past, but I dont tar everyone with the same brush, thats why I turned to this Forum for advice. As an ex Soldier, I dont sugar coat anything, your post is just unhelpful & a waste of time, scroll on by.

Not had time to read all the posts, but have you considered considered asking your installer what he recommends?
Thats what I'd advise

Sponsored Links
*******************Deleted.

You may not like some of the free advice you're getting but it doesn't mean you can be abusive.
Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Not had time to read all the posts, but have you considered considered asking your installer what he recommends?
Thats what I'd advise

That is what I said as well(y)
I would be talking to friends and relatives for recommendations. Invite the person to suggest boiler and costing. He may not want to fit the boiler you supply
While one boiler does the same thing as the next, it could have weaknesses or failures only a service/ breakdown guy is likely to be aware of, hence he is the best person to seek out
Then you have the spares prices. Once the warranty is over (can be null and void if the installer does not go through the hoops and loops), some of the parts can easily cost a chunk of what the new boiler cost, so go cheap then pay through the nose for the parts. Do the check yourself- pick a cheap boiler and then look for what the fan, PCB or the heat exchnager costs
There are guys and gals out there who want to earn an honest crust, price is not adjusted by day of the week, amount of work in hand or car you have in the drive
Knowledge under belt will obviously effect the price as well professionalism
Replacement boiler is not a case of shoehorning the new boiler in place of existing with no regard to what is existing there at present
An open vented system, converted to sealed system could have sting in the tail later in that system now pressurised could weep from system weaknesses
System debris will almost certainly cause an issue to most modern combination boilers
A gas line feeding the present boiler may well be correctly sized. For new boiler it most likely would need upgrading- bigger the power, more gas required by the boiler
System controls can make an existing system more 'economical' to allow planned upgrade

Finally the installer. He will destroy a good appliance through bad workmanship or breath life into it regardless of the appliance selected

While not intending to blow own horn, recovered a boiler from that had been attempted at repairing (had some new parts fitted by that person then eventually boiler dumped) boiler was serviced and £5.00 diaphragm is all that was needed. Boiler gave 12 years of good service when it had to be removed as it needed a major part replacement

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back