Replacement Combi Boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad is having a new combi boiler, his choices are, Vokera Easy Heat 29kw, Ravenheat Combi 25kw, his budget is small so we need a decent boiler for under £600. Any advice please. It will be fitted by a gas registered installer.

Sponsored Links
Talk to the registered fitter and reason he suggests particular model

Thanks very much for that useless information. If you dont have any answers to the question, just scroll on by, this is a DiY Forum & i`m asking a question, I dont need smartarse replies.

Have you considered Glo-worm boilers - I had one fitted a few years ago and it was about GBP600. It has not given me any trouble. I do not know what they cost today.

Sponsored Links
Johnson and Starley came fourth in a Which survey. The one I have is reliable, efficient and cost less than £600 , admittedly 6 years ago and not a combi.

He may need to spend a bit more than £600 today to get a good quality boiler. Read the small print regarding warranty and servicing requirments to keep the warrenty active.

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
Thanks very much for that useless information. If you dont have any answers to the question, just scroll on by, this is a DiY Forum & i`m asking a question, I dont need smartarse replies.

Useless in what context?
An installer SHOULD know the product FAR better than forum suggested appliance based on no knowledge of what your house layout is, main water pressure and gas line.
FURTHERMORE an installer, if he is really an installer and a service/ maintainance guy, will know which product to pick and choose based on likelihood of breakdowns and cost of spares if and when they will inevitably be required and makers backup when help needed from them.

Obviously you do not want to hear what I have to say, so good luck to you

I dont need smartarse replies.
DP has a very valid point,ask the installer if he starts scratching his head or other body parts,then they aint got a clue,find a decent installer.
Vokera easi heat+ would be favourite out of the 2 you mentioned ,mrcentralheating does the 29kw inc std flue,magnaclean and clock for less than 600 notes.(well they did last month)

I work for Vokera so you have to weigh that into any judgment you make.

The easi-heat has a five year warranty and is a version of our own model the Compact A made and badged especially for Mr.Central heating group.

I would just mention I think DP's remarks sensible as your installer should be included in the process.

That platform has been around coming up for 7 years, gives few problems and consists of most of the components we use in our other higher spec models. A competitor makes a case for using brass components in their boiler claiming they're better or more reliable, it is not so. Those components in our boiler are a composite material, have been used unchanged in all models for 9 years are lighter, lose less heat through the material and are easier to maintain.

If your lad gets a little more money later he can fit for around a £120 a proper internet remote control, not just an internet thermostat but a remote control of the boiler itself.

Hope this helps.

Thank`s very much guys. DP. Useless in what context. Useless as it doesn't answer the question. Mains pressure is 3 bar, semi detached house, standard brick, cavity wall, insulated, rooms measured & rads calculated, showers only, no bath to fill. As a layman I suspect a 25kw boiler will be sufficient, however, I always consider "Overkill", & would prefer around 30 kw. Not all installers are genuine people, & not all DiY enthusiasts are muppets. You have cowboys & rip off merchants in your ranks, the same as in other trades. I would like more input regarding my questions, & not "Ask the installer". Gents, after being ripped off by 2 separate "Registered Installers", members of my family have been left with cheapo boilers at high prices. So, I, or my son, will decide which boiler we want, based on answers from professionals like you, who dont have an interest in making a **** load of money for a quick cheap boiler at £2500. That`s why I am on here, to get the views from you guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Maybe you should think twice about how you ask for the advice that you seek, as you come across as very arrogant,"Mains pressure is 3 bar" means absolutely nothing, is that standing pressure ? Dynamic pressure ? what is the flow rate ? you obviously plan to install this by yourself and not use a registered engineer, so just select any boiler you want, go for one with a short warranty, as it will be cheaper, no point in a long warranty as it will not be honored anyway , as you are not registered and you can not register the warranty.

The flow rate your lad has coming into the house should help you determine the boiler output. Pointless putting a 12 or 14l/m boiler in if he only has 10 l/m into the house. 25KW=10l/minute, 30KW=12l/minute.

If you ring any manufacturer they'll have a few approved installers with experience of the product in a postcode near you.

Personally I think a friend or acquaintances recommendation is best and not for a job 4 years old, recent work.

The flow rate your lad has coming into the house should help you determine the boiler output. Pointless putting a 12 or 14l/m boiler in if he only has 10 l/m into the house. 25KW=10l/minute, 30KW=12l/minute.

If you ring any manufacturer they'll have a few approved installers with experience of the product in a postcode near you.

Personally I think a friend or acquaintances recommendation is best and not for a job 4 years old, recent work.
A bit more diplomatic than me David

you obviously plan to install this by yourself and not use a registered engineer, so just select any boiler you want

I think this is an incredibly unfair judgement to make. It seems to be the default position of a lot of posts on this forum. Fair enough, it may well be the case in some instances, but there are far more people like me who like to be well informed before instructing a professional to do the job, because previous experience has shown that even the professionals have limits to their knowledge or bias in their recommendations.

Not everyone is planning on breaking the law and putting their families lives at risks, just to save a few quid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back