Replacement Condensing Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've picked up from other forum posts, I've been very lucky to have my Ideal Icos HE24 condensing boiler last for over eight years with only a few minor problems along the way.

Unfortunately a few weeks ago, most likely through user error (letting the system get over pressurised when valve was knocked open by clutter in cupboard & left for a number of weeks!), the boiler started to leak badly and was diagnosed with a damaged expansion valve.

Although we seem to be managing the situation & the leak has gone away, I'm told the repair is necessary & given the hours involved & age of the boiler, rather than just buy a new expansion vessel, it seems like it would be more economical in the long run to replace the whole boiler.

I've not been in this position before & am hoping to have some helpful advice on a reliable / cost effective replacement. The house is modern & the demand on the water system now & in future is not likely to be from more than a small family.

Recommendations or pointers to suitable reviews would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If its working fine then leave it alone until it faults.

Sounds like someone short of work is advising you.

Tonight I went to see a 47 year old boiler and left it working! Just like I did on my last visit four years ago!

Tony

I can't understand if you mean the pressure relief valve is passing, or the expansion vessel is leaking.

The pressure relief is a bitch to get to, but I can do it in about 90mins to 2hrs, it's just some thing else will leak during the drain down and refill, but ideal still do the hydro/gasket pack so just be prepared for extra costs if time goes up.

If it's the expansion vessel on the back, I changed one in about 4hrs a few weeks ago. The whole boiler has to come off the wall and it's a pain, but can be done. Can a remote vessel not be fitted ? Remove the flexi hose from the expansion vessel and fit the appropriate plug to the hose, then fit a remote vessel in a convenient location. Without seeing the boiler I can't comment on which course of action is best.

British gas do what is known as ON CALL ASSISTANCE, OCA job, if it is up to 2hrs it is £199 and between 2-4hrs it is £400, this may be worth looking into if your plumber is quoting above this, or a least get them to come and give you a free quote for fitting a remote vessel and explain the situation to the engineer, he will decide which course of action to follow.

Sponsored Links
Tell me about it, but it is an ideal have you seen where their genius' designers put it ? It's almost as bad as the Worcester green star range where you have to remove the entire manifold section just to replace the prv.
I swear things are getting worse, I thought the dhw diaphragm on the Cdi range was poor design.

If you have a spare room that you don't use much and dont need to heat you can just drain some water out of the radiator and the air gap left in the top of the radiator will take up the expansion of the water when heated. I know it's not really a permanent solution but I did this for a friend of mine to stop it dispersing water out of the PRV and he hasn't called me back to replace it yet despite reminding him numerous times. That was about three months ago.

ALCP, I love this technique, especially when I'm not aware of it and I bleed the rad only to get called back with the customer saying,

"it wasn't leaking until you serviced it"

GRRRR one of these days Alice.

Not yet, but if you can do an icos prv in 20mins perhaps I don't belong in there with the real engineers, I had to work on an espirit this morning and I'm still sulking, at least it actually had some room to work in.
Bring back the ideal classic, blooming bootiful boiler.
I've only just realised I'm getting my icos and isar confused, so yes I can do the icos in about half and hr, the isar the jury is still out.

Hi - thanks to everyone whose responded.

I made the mistake of quoting the expansion valve when, yes, I meant expansion vessel.

A few weeks on and the boiler still hasn't started leaking again, despite running three separate cycles each day to heat house and three separately to heat hot water.

It's interesting to read the suggestion of creating an air pocket in one of the radiators to allow for expansion in the system (I think I understood that correctly). Coincidentally one of our radiators seems to be struggling to warm up and I suspect an air pocket has built up over time. Annoyingly the rad is in a bedroom.

For the time being I'm going to adopt the uneasy approach of leaving the boiler & system as it is. It's odd that we seem to have been able to manage the situation so there is now no leak at all. It does make me question the diagnosis but nonetheless, I'm continuing to research replacement boilers for when the inevitable happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back