Replacement extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I would like to know if i can reconnect my wiring, (where it was temporarily terminated ) to my new, replacement extension.
It was a bathroom and conservatory. Now it is bathroom and utility. All previous sockets ran on the ring main, all lighting was also from one circuit. The shower ran separate to my unit, which i will run in new wire and connect to a 30ma RCBO.
I paid my council £156 so that i could do the work myself and hopefully get it signed off. ( it was zero if a qualified electrician did everything, or £300 for me to do it and the council to check it ). There will be no more sockets than before, and all bathroom electrics will be away from zones they should not be in. Ive read so much over the last 18 months, but im sure i read this somewhere. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It was my mothers wet room, the builder had run off in to hills of Corwen, and I was left to complete the job, thinking until that point the builder had done everything correct, I contacted the LABC to say I was taking over the job. Seems the LABC were unaware until I told them, but for the building work they had no problem in my son and I DIY, but Part P was new then, and they wanted to employ an electrician at my expense to inspect all the work.

Both my son and I had out C&G 2382 and 2391 but the LABC inspector still wanted a third party inspector, my son said what if he does fail it, what then, if we say it's OK and he says it's not then he will need to be higher qualified to ourselves for you to be able to take what he says as correct, and my dad has a degree. It was only at this point he backed off and decided we could DIY all the electrical work and submit the installation certificate and he would decide on the strength of the installation certificate if he was going to pass it.

As a foot note, when the house was sold, I at first could not find the paperwork, so applied to the LABC for replacements, and was told it would take four months, and I would need to pay the time the council worker took finding them. In other words go away it is only a tax we don't really keep traceable records. Lucky I then found them all, otherwise I would have needed to take out insurance it seems to sell the house.

It seems bathrooms are a special location, and you need planning permission to make a room into a bathroom, or make a bathroom into an ordinary room again. And there are all silly rules about disabled access etc. Distance of pan to the wall, etc, and we had to move the door to get this access, or the builders had, and we found as a result the lintel was only supported on one side, the LABC inspector missed that completely. But insisted an extractor fan even when it has opening windows as he said visitors to the house could look in to the open window. So one was fitted, but never used.

But the LABC inspector is like God, some are easy to get one with, some have a bee in their bonnet, and all you can do it what they tell you. One can read all the documents in the planning portal, but it is the guy would is assigned the case who decides. It is not a simple get an EICR which is clean and your OK, unless the EICR is covered by a scheme provider the LABC inspector does not need to accept it. Although most domestic electricians are scheme members, often the scheme does not cover the issuing of an EICR, even when the document has the providers name on it, read the small print and it often says it's not covered by the scheme. Why electrical factors sell the form pads when down loadable from IET for free, seems to point to electricians trying to con the client that it is covered by the scheme membership.

In the main it is insurance, need professional indemnity insurance to issue an EICR, where I volunteer I don't sharpen my own drills, I have the skill, but not the official training, as it costs the firm money to officially train me, it's not down to ability, but paperwork.

Sponsored Links
From the IET site.

What types of electrical work are notifiable?​

The introduction of the latest version of Part P was introduced on 6 April 2013, the range of works requiring notification has been reduced.

Notifiable works​

• The installation of a new circuit
  • The replacement of a consumer unit
  • Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location

Non- notifiable works​

• All other work is considered non-notifiable, namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, maintenance, replacement and repair work.
As i'm having like for like, no electrics in special locations in bathroom, same amount of sockets in utility as before, i was hoping for the bit in red. My feeds will come from same wires as previous. Is that classed as any different to any form of replacement? Also they took my money knowing it will hopefully be passed off by a registered electrician , but if i'd paid double they would have checked my work themselves. It would be simpler if the law said qualified only, no way round it just because you pay the council.

From the IET site.

What types of electrical work are notifiable?​

The introduction of the latest version of Part P was introduced on 6 April 2013, the range of works requiring notification has been reduced.

Notifiable works​

Non- notifiable works​

• All other work is considered non-notifiable, namely additions and alterations to existing installations outside special locations, maintenance, replacement and repair work.
As i'm having like for like, no electrics in special locations in bathroom, same amount of sockets in utility as before, i was hoping for the bit in red.
Well, yes, as it says 'replacements'; "like for like" is not mentioned, but both are irrelevant.
The replacement of a consumer unit is notifiable.

The point is nothing you are doing is:
Therefore not notifiable - but still must be done properly.

My feeds will come from same wires as previous. Is that classed as any different to any form of replacement?
See above.

Also they took my money knowing it will hopefully be passed off by a registered electrician , but if i'd paid double they would have checked my work themselves. It would be simpler if the law said qualified only, no way round it just because you pay the council.
Not sure what your point is there.

What types of electrical work are notifiable?
Seems to be an important bit missing "IN ENGLAND" Scotland and Wales have different rules, and in Wales we inherited the old rules, so still called Part P.
I paid my council £156 so that i could do the work myself and hopefully get it signed off. ( it was zero if a qualified electrician did everything, or £300 for me to do it and the council to check it ).
That makes me think England as Wales was £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work. And the charge for an electrician of the LABC chose was down to the electrician, not fixed, so if he was to visit 5 times and he charges £50 minimum charge the fee paid could be large.

New circuit has not been defined, if a fully populated consumer unit is fitted, then is using a RCBO which was tested when the board was installed to be considered as new, or an extension of an existing?

Same applies with Consumer Unit which is a type tested distribution unit, so if you fit a bell transformer from another manufacturer it looses its CU status.

However the LABC inspector can use common sense, and I am sure he would not consider the box to be only a distribution unit, he/she would say that is a CU, don't be pedantic, I want the paperwork to go with it.

It may work in your mind, but in real life you have to do what the LABC inspector says.

Thanks for replies. Just wanted a bit of clarity, but will ask BCO on his "up to wall plate" visit. Like to try and be a bit ahead of the game so that i can budget and/or ask a registered tradesman to do bits that i am not legally allowed, or not as up to date with regs as them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back