Telephone extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,
I have 3 telephone extension sockets around the house that are all daisy chained together with a cable that plugs directly into the BT master socket in the hallway. Now the wife somehow tripped on the cable and tore the wires from the plug so now i'm left with a wire, a socket and no plug! I have tried reconnecting using a snipped wire from an old telephone and using connecting blocks. Theres still no line and the skybox says line busy??? I used the wiring diagram from here:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

I also checked in one of the extension boxes and the wiring is standard (as in the diagram).
Can anyone help please as I'm having sky+ installed on saturday and I obviously need my extensions to be working!

Phil

P.S I cannot wire the extension straight into the master socket as the wire is now too short.

Sponsored Links
I had similar problems. IN the end i bought brand new cable and sockets and started from scratch as the previous owners had used different wiring orders in each box. If I plugged a phone in to one of them it stoped the others from working. Rewiring is easier than it sounds but I'd recommend buying a proper insertion tool rather than those cheap plastic things.

I have all the tools and experience of installing the sockets as I do it at work but with the extensions already being there and wired (and under laminate flooring grr) I just wondered if there was a solution to somehow connect the wire to a plug. Nevermind methinks rewiring will have to be the solution :rolleyes:

You coulds always fit a small junction box and then run a short length of cable to the existing master jack, so long as the presence of another small white box isn't objectionable.

Sponsored Links
you know which terminals the cable that ripped out of the plug connect to in the socket at the other end.

stick the plug and wire you got off the old phone into a spare socket and figure out which pin of the plug connects to which terminal of the socket using your multimeter.

that should be all the information you need to correctly recconnect the extentions

if it still doesn't work then i suspect the wife damaged the cable when she pulled it out of the plug. You will need to use a multimeter to find out which cores are good before proceding

if you have three or more good cores then you need to connect pins 2 3 and 5

if you only have two good cores then connect pins 2 and 5 and replace the first extention with a second master socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back