Replacement Extractor Fan question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
we have a downstairs shower/toilet that has an extractor fan. It sounds like the bearings in the fan are starting to go, screeching a little bit. Is it worth trying to refurb it or would getting a replacement make more sense?

Rich

Sponsored Links
New one. Photo would be nice. Most cheap builders fans are rubbish.

Not worth trying to fix unless its simply a case of cleaning the blades and blowing the carp out the motor.

A lot of the fans you can buy now, especially out the DIY sheds are rubbish. I'm in the middle of fitting this for my ensuit/shower
IMG_0364-2.JPG

Its about £150 compared to the typical £30-50 sort of fan, and its pretty impressive how much less noise I get from this compared to a cheap bathroom extractor (and this isnt even one of the purpose made quite models)

Def worth putting a little extra in and getting a good new fan.

Sponsored Links
Not worth trying to fix unless its simply a case of cleaning the blades and blowing the carp out the motor.

A lot of the fans you can buy now, especially out the DIY sheds are rubbish. I'm in the middle of fitting this for my ensuit/shower
View attachment 87538

Its about £150 compared to the typical £30-50 sort of fan, and its pretty impressive how much less noise I get from this compared to a cheap bathroom extractor (and this isnt even one of the purpose made quite models)

Even better if you ensure the pipe has a continuous rise on it to prevent water condensing and blocking the pipe ;)

View attachment 87538

Even better if you ensure the pipe has a continuous rise on it to prevent water condensing and blocking the pipe ;)
Not finished yet, still got the loft insulation to put back down and joints to tape up, after which it will have a rise lol but well spotted

Rykard, is that wall go direct to outside, or is the fan located further away and that's just the inlet duckt?

You see the staining on the grills? Probably means there's a load of carp in the actual fan itself, could be worth stripping it and cleaning it out and using a can of compressed air (keyboard cleaner) on the fan/bearings

Apart from that I would just replace it

that is an interior wall, it used to be an outside wall but an extension was built years ago. I am not sure where the fan actually is, I would presume this end behind the grill,. I will see if I can grab some air and see about giving it a clean out at the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back