Replacement for old Silavent 10 inch fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom in my flat has an old Silavent fan box into the ceiling that is 10x10 inches and seems to have finally packed in. I have no idea how old it is (the flat was built in the late 1980s) but it seems that nowadays fans are a lot smaller.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replacement - are there large fans that would fit the space still available or does it need a more creative solution like some sort of 10 inch surround for a smaller fan (I'd rather not replace the whole ceiling!)

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
the important question, what size is the duct it fits? The size of the case is usually considerably larger.

100mm is common for a bathroom, 150mm is better.

Do you have access to the duct in the loft? Photos would help.

What is the Silavent model for the old fan. it will probably be marked in the box, or on the fan itself.

Thanks both. It was in the house when I moved in so I don't have a box, and there's no model number other than the timer that is obvious on the fan. Photos attached - the hole is set by the casing embedded into the ceiling but I'm not sure of the vent size unfortunately (tenants in the house so I'd have to go there to measure). I've emailed Silavent so hopefully they'll come back with a suggestion!

Sponsored Links
It is written on it. Model 110A. It looks like a 100mm (4") duct and it all sits on the ceiling.

Suggest you go for centrifugal timer fan, like this one

Apparently that model is the timer model and used in lots of fans. Silavent has confirmed though based on the photos that it is from the Mayfair 70 or Mayfair 140 range and therefore replacement can be from that range and will fit the back box. I thought it would be a lot harder to sort out based on discussions with my electrician. Thanks all for help.

Oh gawd these things were TERRIBLE! The blade is the worst designed blade I've ever seen in a centrifugal extractor fan as they have next to no angle of attack! they just smack into the air and stir it round and round accumulating a load of dust. They seem to blow more air than they suck!
Anyway for anyone reading, the duct for this fan is the standard 4" (100mm) bore. There are multitudes of better fans that will fit this sized hole, and will work a lot better than that piece of junk ever did. I personally recommend the Envirovent filterless infinity or EF fans as they dynamically sense moisture in the air and speed up/slow down accordingly depending on the levels of moisture in the air. Perfect for a bathroom and 60 litres/sec extraction rate compared to the pitiful 15 or so of this old Silavent. Not only that, but the blades clip off and can be dishwashed, and the fan needs no filter. You can pick up a non-badged Envirovent fan on Ebay UK for about £70-90

Hi, would some be able to advise what I should replace this fan with?

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• 316BBEDC-D3FB-40BD-9BAD-495AECC51F27.jpeg
    316BBEDC-D3FB-40BD-9BAD-495AECC51F27.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 515
A bit more detail may help, "silavent" have made dozens over the years, if its an obsolete unit its a case of comparing sizes for something to fit.
Ideally you need the Model number usually found inside the unit, if not the Vent pipe diameter, usually 100mm or 150mm and also if it has a run on timer.
Its likely a Centrifugal fan
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...8AKHbIlCZYQ_AUIDygC&biw=1707&bih=838&dpr=1.13

Aplogies for the state of it. Does this picture help? Thanks a lot

Attachments

• E1F6E588-8B6B-4918-B201-42A278396EEA.jpeg
    E1F6E588-8B6B-4918-B201-42A278396EEA.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 534
its a silavent mayfair 70,,I installed 40 plus 35 years ago & they are still running... look to pay £115 Timer model or £105 standard but can be uo to £300 with back box.....Also available in domus,,same unit

its a silavent mayfair 70,,I installed 40 plus 35 years ago & they are still running... look to pay £115 Timer model or £105 standard but can be uo to £300 with back box.....Also available in domus,,same unit

The question was asked (and answered) years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back