replacement lugs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just changed my fused switch with a bit of help from 1 of the guys off this forum ( thanks for that by the way mate) Now i have another problem

i have just changed my light switch when i screwed the face plate on the screws were not tightening up, took the face plate off only to find the backbox does not have metal lugs, BUT plastic blocks held behind 2 sort of thin bent over lugs. Are these plastic parts still available or is my only option to change the backbox altogether, just wall papered this room yesterday and no spare paper, just my luck
thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
BA nuts are still available, but the matching accessory fixing screws probably won't be. How about scavenging the brass inserts from a plastic surface mount box?

Get a couple of 3.5mm extension studs and glue them into place. There's some on fleabay here
or from your local electrical distributor.

Alternatively, get a couple of long thin wood screws (No4 or 6).
Drill right into the back of the box through the existing plastic lugs (a 2mm drill will be planty) Then hold the switch plate in place and screw right through into the back of the box.
NOTE: be very careful not to screw through the wires in the box!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The boxes you describe are old MK, not made anymore. Carefully remove the blocks, buy a surface mount backbox and smash it to bits to obtain the brass inserts, from the back of the blocks drill a hole through the original slightly smaller than the brass inserts but not quite all the way through. Push the brass inserts in tightly and replace the plastic blocks in the box.

thanks very much for all the advice guys, its much appreciated, managed to get some M3.5 nuts so the jobs done now but thanks once again everyone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back