Plug socket connundrum

I

imamartian

Can anyone work out what happened here?

Wife put the kettle on this evening, and went out of the room, came back in a couple of minutes later, and went to turn the kettle back on again, but the light had gone out and there was no power to it. She noticed that the wall switch on the socket was now not in the on or off position, but was flat half way between. The switch now wouldn't flick to on or off.

She then took the plug out of the socket, and it sparked.

I got home just after and changed the socket and took the dodgy one apart.....and there is a plastic lug (on the back of the switch) which pushes a metal plate, but on the dodgy switch, the plastic lug was melted to the metal plate!

Sponsored Links
Switch became loose, overheated when the load from the kettle was applied, switch failed.

Sponsored Links
Ok, that makes sense.....

The only odd thing is that about a week ago the kettle started leaking, but since the switch on the wall broke, the kettle seems to have stopped leaking.... just coincidence?

I would say so, unless that spark from the socket sealed up the hole!

the kettle seems to work ok now.

But what i don't understand is.... why didn't it trip an RCB on the consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back