plug socket earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting metal plug sockets in and replacing the plastic ones. Will there be an earthing point on the plate? If so should I/can I run a earth from the connection on the back of the socket to the earthing point?

Sponsored Links
skymatt said:
I am looking at putting metal plug sockets in and replacing the plastic ones. Will there be an earthing point on the plate? If so should I/can I run a earth from the connection on the back of the socket to the earthing point?

Yes there will...

Yes you should!

(by "Earthing Point" I assume you mean the one in the backbox, which is connected to the earth cores in the ring-main cables).

Cheers,

Howard

This should make it clearer

I have the earth from the ring main going into the back of the plug socket and was going to run earth cable from the back of the plug socket to the earth point that is normally a bronze hole and screw.

So I assume that is the right thing to do and is okay?

Yes, but it is usual to have the earth from the supply call in at the socket itself first, as that is where it is needed, and then link to the back box, unless the back box is a conduit system and IS the earth itself. In either case the earthing should be adequate.
If it is not earthed by conduit, and the screws holding the socket to the back box are going to at least one fixed lug ion that back box, and the holes for the screws are eyleted and metallically connected to the earth terminal on the socket face, this may mean that a link to the back box is not required at all.
Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Ummmmmmmmmmm not to sure I understand that reply. Excuse my lack of knowledge :cry: but could yoyu spell it out to me? Thanks

Technically, if your back box has a fixed lug (ie a mounting point for the socket that does not move), then there is no longer a requirement to run an earth lead from the earth terminal to the box, but many still do it anyway.

So if I just have the earth running into the back of the plug sockets. And have no earth ruuning to the box in the wall or the brass screw on the socket plate thats still okay? That does not sound right?

As has been said in a previous post, the box will be earthed through the metal socket when it is screwed into place.

Thanks. Want to be 110% sure. So this means I should not have to do anything.

If your box has at least one fixed lug, you do not need to fit a link between the earth terminal of the socket and the box. However, if you want to, you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back