Outdoor Socket - Flying Earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting an outdoor socket (has been notified) running a spur from an indoor socket on the ring, with an FCU inbetween.

The outdoor socket is an MK Masterseal one, all plastic. Someone told me that you should always connect a flying earth from the earth terminal on the socket to the earth terminal in the back box.

But I always thought that this is only required if either the back box is metal of the front plate is metal.

So, typically, would a flying earth be connected, or not, as I cannot see any point or need myself.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it's switchable, it provides a means of preventing unauthorised use of the outlet. Not a bad idea really.

I'm fitting an outdoor socket (has been notified)
Blimey. Surely it would have been cheaper to get an electrician?

with an FCU inbetween.
Why?

So, typically, would a flying earth be connected, or not, as I cannot see any point or need myself.
No point.

1. Well, no, it would not have been cheaper to get an electrician, as it's part of other jobs too.

2. The FCU, is also inside (within a porch) so the outside socket can be turned off to avoid the unlikely event of anyone stealing the electric.

3. That's just as I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

If it's switchable, it provides a means of preventing unauthorised use of the outlet. Not a bad idea really.

That's the exact reason. It's worked out well, as it passes through a porch, so the FCU is in the porch, switching off the socket to the outside.
Thanks very much.

OK - for some reason I didn't think about the possibility of it being accessible to the public.

A switch would have been cheaper than an FCU though... ;)

So you do live in a crime free area after all ?
Nope.

Always think out of the box
Or even in the box, which is where I've got my sockets outside the front of the house, for reasons including security...

It was because the OP used an SFCU - I was thinking of it as being there because of the FCU, not because of the S....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back