Earth fly @ socket walkthrough?

You are still required to install the link with all wiring systems when using surface metal clad boxes.
I'm not familiar with that being the case - can you point me to the right reg?
I don't have BGB to hand, but there's obviously a general requirement for exposed metal enclosures to be earthed, and I'm not so sure that there is any dispensation which allows them not to be earthed if the 'front' is removed.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Other than guidance, which just says 'fly-lead everything' I did not think there was a requirement to provide earth continuity within an LV installation which has been effectively isolated, and deemed safe to work on.

Having said that, apart from socket outlets, there's few opportunities to test a circuit to ensure it is dead before removing the accessory.

Other than guidance, which just says 'fly-lead everything' I did not think there was a requirement to provide earth continuity within an LV installation which has been effectively isolated, and deemed safe to work on.
I don't suppose there is, but there's no guarantee that a metal enclosure 'with its front removed' will necessarily be "effectively isolated, and deemed safe to work on", is there? I'm sure, for example, that many a person works within metal CUs/DBs (with the front cover removed) when the only 'isolation' is some sort of main switch/incomer within the enclosure (hence leave some live parts within the enclosure).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Goodness - is that even compliant with BS1363? stillp?
Sorry John, my BS1363 is a hard copy and is in my office, but I'm at a meeting in Florida.
I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it. I suffer for my work.
:p Whoops - must dash, have some work to finish before Happy Hour.

Sorry John, my BS1363 is a hard copy and is in my office, but I'm at a meeting in Florida. ... I know, it's a tough job but someone has to do it. I suffer for my work. :p Whoops - must dash, have some work to finish before Happy Hour.
Ah well, I'm sure that it can wait until you're reunited with the paperwork! Have fun - I have to say that my work also sometimes gets as tough as yours, but not recently :)

Kind Regards, John

You'd think that someone would invent a form of communication that could be used from the office, or even your home. I suppose it could even have a picture of the person to whom you were speaking.

Oh well, a £30 led lamp will make up for it and save the planet.

No, I'm not a tree-hugger but just taking the **** although it does make you wonder.

Nowt wrong with (some parts of) Sheffield. On reflection though, I think I prefer Clearwater Beach!
I know Sheffield well, and there's definitely nowt wrong with the bits I usually frequent (which is more than one can say for some of the 'suburbs' I drive through!). I'm not really a beach person, so you can't make me jealous like that :)

Kind Regards, John

there's no guarantee that a metal enclosure 'with its front removed' will necessarily be "effectively isolated, and deemed safe to work on", is there?
I'm not suggesting there is. I'm only pointing out that it is not a requirement; of course it will be, and should be considered best practise to provide the flying lead under most circumstances.

We need plastic/GRP back boxes, that aren't drywall, to drive away this rediculously outdated standard design.

there's no guarantee that a metal enclosure 'with its front removed' will necessarily be "effectively isolated, and deemed safe to work on", is there?
I'm not suggesting there is. I'm only pointing out that it is not a requirement;
As I said, I'm not so sure (but am not sure what regs to cite!). If there is a requirement for an exposed metal enclosure to be earthed, I'm far from sure that the requirement disappears when one takes the front off.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back