Earth inside power socket box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding some new power sockets in the garage and being a bit of a newbie I'm a bit confused about correct earthing. The mounting box is plastic as is the face plate, and the mounting box has an earth terminus, presumably for a flying earth from the face plate. Do I need to connect this earth if both the face plate and mounting box are plastic, and if so what is this for?

Sponsored Links
You must connect the cpc (earth) to the faceplate even though it is plastic.

The terminal in the box is just for 'parking' a cpc when not needed.

Obviously I'll connect the earth to the faceplate, *especially* in the garage where sharp spiky electrical things are common. So the box terminal is basically in case I was replacing the box in an existing installation that had a flying earth and I'd need somewhere to put it?

Thanks,
Ross

Sponsored Links
Thats exactly right ross, you would usually use them for light switches as most (unless metal fittings) don't have an earth terminal.

As the back box is plastic, you are not required to earth it.
If metal back, then depending on the lug fixing on the box it may need to, it may not.

Just to be awkward:
If it was for a plastic lighting switch plate (with no earth term) and backbox (with earth term), then continuity of CPC/earth would be required, this does not necessarily mean that this must be terminated at the terminal offered at the backbox. But as that provision is available, it would be logical process to so. awkward moment completed

The possibility of using the box for a lighting switch makes everything clear and is obvious in hindsight. Thanks everyone.

Also, sometimes these pattresses are used as junction boxes and the terminal can be used for earths in that case too.

As the back box is plastic, you are not required to earth it.
If metal back, then depending on the lug fixing on the box it may need to, it may not...

Likelihood in a garage is that it will be surface mounted so a metal box must be earthed with a fly lead as it is an exposed conductive part. I personally hate seeing normal metal boxes used in garages, metal clad is much nicer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back