Socket switch makes popping noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted some new stainless steel double sockets in my kitchen and just yeserday I had a high wattage wallpaper stripping steam machine plugged in. The machine has no on/off switch, so needs to be controlled by the switch on the socket.

When I flicked the switch to off, it made a loud-ish 'pop' sound.

To replicate this I switched my kettle on at the appliance switch and whilst it was on I clicked the switch on the socket to turn it off, again a loud 'pop'.

There is no 'pop' when the kettle is switched off at the appliance switch and I click the switch on the socket.

Can anyone advise what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Poor quality switches.

What brand are the sockets?

The switch on your kettle is sprung. You couldnt hold it half way, it will spring off to give a gap so arcing wont occur. The socket switch however is unlikely to be sprung, and you cant move the rocker quick enough for the right gap, so arcing occurs.

My thoughts anyway.

Switching off under load can cause arcing which can sound like crackling or popping (but not snapping ;) ).

Yes, it's definately a popping noise.

So is that normal? I don't plan to be switching stuff off under load very often, it was just an off-chance that I had the wallpaper machine plugged in.

Sponsored Links
As Steve asks, what brand are your sockets? Premium brand sockets like MK have better quality switches to lessen arcing.

wait till the thermostat clicks off in the machine, then switch off. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back