Replacement or compatible alternative boiler stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - this is my first post so please excuse my lack of knowledge if I'm not doing things correctly - don't mind being corrected if I am.
I've looked through lots of threads trying to find an answer to my problem - several of which seem to be asking a similar question but with no actual definite result.
I have an old Glow Worm Fuelsaver 75B Mk II that was working perfectly until recently and for which I am now told that I need a new boiler thermostat.
I have tried everywhere to get a replacement but now believe they are rarer than hens teeth. A few sites on the internet display them as being in stock but when you ring up you're told they are obsolete and can no longer be purchased.
I have given up asking telephone operatives as to why they are still available on their companies website if they don't have any as I feel I've wasted enough time already so I'm turning to you, the good people of diynot, some of who will of gone down the same road with hopefully a better outcome than I'm finding at present.
The original Glow Worm part number was 202502 which I believe was upgraded to 416189 but the actual part in made by Ranco and their part number is C77P0112.
I've trawled the internet for any of these and the only ones I have found don't exist when I've phoned up to order - even tried ebay and whilst there are lots of Ranco thermostats on there (most of which look the same) not one has the same code - there is a C77P0113 (1 digit different) but who knows if that is compatible.
I am told that Ranco made lots of stats for different boiler manufacturers and therefore C77P0112 and C77P0013 could be exactly the same but one was made for Glow Worm and the other for say Baxi.
I do think someone is missing a bit of a trick here - if I had a load of old boiler stats I'd definitely be finding out which boilers they could be put in to.
I gather Ranco isn't around anymore so it's not possible to ask them - don't know if manufacturers or wholesalers go onto this site but if they do, coming up with a thermostat compatibility chart would be like printing money and also possibly help the planet - I don't want to have to scrap a good boiler (and HW cylinder etc) for the sake of not being able to find a £50 ish component.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
That boiler's ancient and the parts have been obsolete for a very long time. You can't fit a third party stat as it would be classified as modifying a gas appliance, which is illegal.

There's no reason why you would need to scrap your hot water cylinder just because you're having a new boiler. A new boiler would be considerably cheaper to run than your existing one and is well worth considering in any case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back