Glow-worm Fuelsaver MKII - Replacing thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

standard open vented system with 2 zone valves
boiler: Glow-worm Fuelsaver MKII

About 2hrs ago boiler tried to fire up but instead of one click there was a few short ones and it didn't fire up :(

Since then I've spent time trying to work out what's wrong and I'm 90% sure its the thermostat because it doesn't pass 24V from transformer to the gas valve. Now if I play with thermostat knob the boiler fires up but not every time.

I have found a replacement HERE but I don't know can I install it myself because of the copper wired temperature sensor that I presume goes somewhere into heat exchanger. Can I use the old one and just connect it to new thermostat?

If not can I try to recondition relay that's causing problem?

Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome as it looks like cold night and day tomorrow :(

Sponsored Links
I won't be taking chances.

any idea how much should it cost?

boiler seems to be working fine now but I don't want to be left without heat on Christmas Eve so it's probably to replace it now.

Sponsored Links
Cost of part then no more than an hours labour

Although I can not speak for other RGI's I would always want to attend to diagnose the fault myself first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back