Replacement Glow Worm Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing 13 year old Glow Worm Fuelsaver Complheat 80 boiler operating with a Megaflow CL210 sealed system to supply a family bathroom and one ensuite.
It is a 4 bedroom house but there are only two of us living here with very occasional overnight visitors.
I have had a quotation to replace our boiler with a Glow Worm Flexicom 24HX Open Vent boiler also replace motorised valves, cylinder stat, room thermostat & programmer.
Does this sound like the right boiler replacement, I thought as I have a sealed system, it should be a system boiler?

Sponsored Links
you are correct. Its possible your installer did not notice your old glowworm is a system boiler. You can get a flexicom SX which would be suitable. Personally I would recommend the ultracom SXI as its of better build quality.
Whats wrong with the motorised valves, cylinder stat, room stat and programmer?? speaking of which whats wrong with the fuelsaver?

Nothing wrong with the valves, stats as far as I know, seems he wanted to change them to go with the new boiler.

The boiler has been playing up over the last year, erratic water pressure and thought that a new one would be more efficient.

a new one would be slightly more efficient. Maybe 10-20%. Pressure problems on system boilers are usually easily rectified. Usually down to a incorrectly charged expansion vessel

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your answers micky, BG replaced the expansion vessel last year, and only last week did the guy charge it up with a foot pump..?

This quote was from nPower..£3385 which also included a powerflush, fitting a Magnaclean and TRV's upstairs, thought this was expensive but better than BG at £3700, who quoted a Vallient eco TEC plus 630, with powerflush and Magnclean but not changing anything else.

It sounds like you are suggesting I don't need to replace my boiler yet, and if I do go ahead, is it not necessary to change stats, I thought they had to be replaced to be compatible with the boiler?

Just noticed the Glow Worm brochure says the Flexicom HX is also suitable for a open vented or sealed system, however the internal picture doesn't show an integral pump like the SX does?

From what I can see there's no obvious reason to replace your boiler. I generally recharge exp vessels on yearly service visits anyway, so if this was done it shouldn't give you any issues. All your existing system components would be compatible with your new boiler, i can assure you BG would leave them there! Yes the HX is suitable for a sealed system however you would then need to find somewhere to put an external pump and sealed system kit. Ideally you want a direct replacement, an SX boiler. If you do go ahead with a new boiler, then an Vaillant ecotec 600 boiler or a Glowworm Ultracom SX would be my suggestion. I have no idea why BG have suggested a 630, when a 624 would be the direct comparison.

Thanks for your help micky, not quite sure what to do now, will give it some thought. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back