Replacement Radiator TRV's - need Help tracking them down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m trying to track down some replacement TRV heads for my heating system.

This is a fairly old system – over about 15 years of age for sure and the TRV’s are a fairly simple design from my assessment – they appear to use a sprung metal top buffer coupled to a moving double spring-loaded plunger which manually effects the spigot that controls the flow in the valve body. Unfortunately one of my valves has rusted away and the result is that the radiator is on full all the time – producing a silly amount of heat which is proving to be a hazard to my children. I have rectified as best I can with some thin metal sheet (from a small candle) and roughly cleaned up what was left of the springs (almost completely corroded away) the trouble with having a radiator in a bathroom I suppose.

All I really require is the replacement top body section as they simply clip onto the main Valve body by the use of a clip compression section which is then held in place by a metal sprung ring. As you can imagine I don’t really want to drain down my entire system to just replace this one valve with a new one and If I were to do that I may as well replace ALL of the valves on all Seven radiators.

I really hope that someone can help me track down these head assemblies that can simply be clipped right back on replacing all the current worn ones. I understand that most of them have SERVO Warm written on them – but one of these valves in one room clearly has MYSON stamped on it – so I’m assuming it was a MYSON rebadged valve that the company used that installed the heating.

Please get back to me if you can help out

Here are photos of the valve for your reference:

IMG_7088.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

[/i]

Sponsored Links
dont think these have been available for years now.

you will need a new rad valve unless anyone else knows different.

Assuming it's not a bungalow, why drain the entire system down for a bathroom valve?

Close both valves on all upstairs raditors to isolate (not number of turns of each lockshield first, so you can restore balance). If a vented system cork the header tank - guess how much water is in the offenting radiator and pipework and then drain about that into a bucket downstairs. Test by undoing valve cautiously to see if water comes out or air goes in (have wives best roasting tin ready just in case).

Have done this loys of times - saves a lot of time on refilling/bleeding. And if you have a vented system you can chuck the drained water back in the expansion tank so you don't have to worry about inhitbitor concentration getting diluted.

what difference does it make if its a bungalow? :confused:

Sponsored Links
would it not be easyer just closing the other bathroom rad valve, bunging the system and draining the pressure off?

Suppose its bunging the tanks not the best Idea for somone who hasnt much expirience incase they give.

But no ive never seen anywhere that you could get those heads, maybe ask a local heating firm if they have any old ones off systems theyve updated but probably just get thrown out straight away.

nickso said:
what difference does it make if its a bungalow? :confused:
Er - none at all :oops: got my logic inverted, was thinking of downstairs in a house, where it's difficult to avoid draining all the upstairs pipework (even with all the rads shut off). If anything a bungalow would be easier.

I had a BAXI Combi boiler fitted last Jan and most of the old servowarm system was booted except for the rads and the existing TRV's.

It's increasingly looking like I'm going to have to replace the TRV with a more modern one and if I'm gonna do that I think it would be in my best interest to change all seven TRV's yeah?

I'm no plumber granted - but not a complete amateur either - but the BAXI system is a new one on me and I'm not quite acclimatised to it's operation yet - should I leave it in the hands of a plumber and get him to drain the system do all the TRV's and re pressurise the boiler system again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back